VMware Communities
bexpol
Contributor
Contributor

Legacy System Extensions, Fusion 12.2.3

Getting repeated Legacy Extension warnings in Monterey 12.4.

Copied from Apple™.....

About system extensions and macOS

Some system extensions aren't compatible with current versions of macOS or won't be compatible with a future version of macOS. Find out what to do if you see an alert about system extensions or kernel extensions. 

System extensions work in the background to extend the functionality of your Mac. Some apps install kernel extensions, or kexts – a kind of system extension that works using older methods that aren't as secure or reliable as modern alternatives. Your Mac identifies these as legacy system extensions.

In 2019, Apple informed developers that macOS Catalina will be the last macOS to fully support legacy system extensions, and we've been working with developers to transition their software.

Is there any future update to Fusion to alleviate this problem, e.g. in Ventura?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

VMware has already addressed this. Fusion 12.x should not be using legacy kernel extensions on Big Sur and Monterey. 

I’m puzzled why you are seeing a complaint about legacy kernel extensions. Is there a history of macOS and Fusion upgrades on this Mac dating from the days of Fusion 11 or earlier? 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
renowden
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased a new Intel Mac Mini in 2018 which had Big-Sur. I upgraded to Fusion 12 at that time. I am now up to MacOS Ventura and am still getting this message. If it is a legacy from my previous machine (I migrated everything) then I need to know how to fix it.

cheers, Rick parsons, Bristol, England
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

It sounds like there’s a vestige of the old Fusion installation involved here. Try a full manual uninstall of Fusion per KB article https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1017838 and not just move the application to the trash. Make sure you get the files in both

• the system wide Library folder (/Library) and
  • your user account’s “hidden” Library folder (~/Library, also known as /Users/your username/Library)

as noted in the article.

Then reboot and reinstall Fusion.

Your VMs won’t be touched. You will need your Fusion license key as the process deletes any existing installed licensing.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
renowden
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks - that seems to have worked - and also triggered an update to version 13 which I hadn't been offered before.

cheers, Rick parsons, Bristol, England
0 Kudos