VMware Communities
Dreamcatcher
Contributor
Contributor

Left mouse click not working after installing VMWare Tools

After installing VMWare Tools the mouse left click stops working. Its on a new Windows XP (SP3) installation. The only way I have managed to get around this is to uninstall the VMWare mouse driver. Has anyone had this problem? Thanks Peter

0 Kudos
11 Replies
maddymac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you try changing the VMware Fusion Preferences settinngs for Keyboard and Mouse

0 Kudos
Dreamcatcher
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response. Yes I have tried changing options. I have also checked that the hardware settings for the mouse is pointing to the correct vmware driver. The mouse works fine except for the left mouse button ie right works. If I uninstall the VMware mouse driver it works fine! I think the next step is to look at the mouse events being passed to XP.

Peter

0 Kudos
Arrash_S
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem, windows 2003 R2 SP2 as a guest and vmware 6.5

after upgrading the vmware to 6.5.2 beta and updating the vmtools the problem happend.

0 Kudos
metalhawk
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here. I upgraded VMWare Tools, and now I can't use the left mouse (or single finger click on the touchpad). Right and two-finger work.

I can't seem to correct this with any driver changes - all I can do is uninstall VMWare tools, and that causes other issues, and yet doesn't resolve this.

I'm running 3.0 beta (Version 3.0.0 (193526)), Bootcamp partition. Any suggestions or updates on this issue?

EDIT: I Booted into bootcamp, then rebooted and now things seem to be working. I'll avoid installing tools for now..

0 Kudos
stereoscott
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem, I have the exact same problem. Upgraded to Fusion

3.0, updated VMWare Tools, and now my XP installation (boot camp) will not

recognize left clicks.

0 Kudos
stereoscott
Contributor
Contributor

On another thead (http://communities.vmware.com/message/1400948#1400948) it was suggested to shut down the VM, edit the processor settings and reduce the number or processors used by the virtual machine. After I reduced mine from 2 to 1 (on a Core 2 Duo), I restarted my XP virtual machine and now the mouse is working.

0 Kudos
Arrash_S
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

thanks for reply. my case resolved after reinstalling Workstation application.

Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
radardawg
Contributor
Contributor

Switching the number of virtual processors from 2 to 1 fixed the mouse left-click for me. Hopefully this issue will be resolved in the first minor update.

0 Kudos
rudders
Contributor
Contributor

Changing to 2 virtual CPU's worked for me also - Windows 7 VM on Snow Leopard 10.6.2.

Thx for the tip!

0 Kudos
kmyhre
Contributor
Contributor

I just got the same error, and google'd for an answer. When you mentioned switching from 2 to 1 processor, it reminded me that I installed the Folding at Home application on my host OS yesterday, and configured it to use all available resources and all processors...

I shut down my Virtual Machine, closed the Folding application, and restarted the Virtual Machine. Now it works as it should. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
kmoneil
Contributor
Contributor

I'm running Lion, with Fusion 4.0.1 and my mouse quit working.  I went into the device manager and under the Mouse -> VMWare Pointing Device -> Advanced  and I disabled the Fast Initialization and now it works fine.

0 Kudos