VMware Communities
Kisyuka
Contributor
Contributor

Leap Motion Controller does not connect in Windows run by Fusion

Leap Motion Controller (USB device) always remains off in Windows 7 and 8 run in Fusion v.8.   All drivers are installed but the device status remains offline. It works in Mac OSX ok. I tried to deactivate it in OSX but it is still off in Windows VM.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Does it work in Windows 10?

Does the device require power via USB?

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
Kisyuka
Contributor
Contributor

I did not try Win 10, only 7 and 8. It requires power via USB. Leap Motion | Mac & PC Motion Controller for Games, Design, Virtual Reality & More

0 Kudos
Kisyuka
Contributor
Contributor

It does not appear in the list of the connected USB devices. It can be seen in the list of cameras when "add new" is selected, but once selected, it is still not added to the list of devices. The device always remains off. See the three attached screenshots.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

It might be that we're not giving enough power to the device... I'm checking with the dev team about this.

-
0 Kudos
Kisyuka
Contributor
Contributor

The same problems happened when I tried to connect Oculus Rift DK2. It also demands power from USB2.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the info.  We'll keep looking internally, but right now we're not able to pass power controls using our virtual USB hub.

-
0 Kudos
Kisyuka
Contributor
Contributor

Here is how I successfully connect leap motion with my win7 running on VMware Fusion 7.0(I didn't pay for the new 8.0version..) and keep developing with visual studio :
1. I uninstall the Leapmotion software on my mac using the the method provided in the link above.
2. start up win7 and make sure the leap motion service is running correctly on win7.
3 plugin the leap motion and cause the driver on mac is no longer exist and the leap motion will only be recognized as a usb device by the VMware Fusion.
4. let the VMware Fusion connect the leap motion to win7 and the leap motion driver will detect the leap motion.

make sure the leap motion service is running on the win7, sometimes the service doesn't startup automatically.

0 Kudos