VMware Communities
walterwatts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Lazy User. Stupid Question. ;)

I use Fusion on a 24 inch Intel Core 2 Duo iMac 2.16GHz with 2GB RAM.

My guests VM's are Windows XP Pro and Ubuntu Ultimate 1.4.

I have VMWare Tools installed and working perfectly.

The VM's work fine with absolutely no problems. (light duty Office 2000 Premium/Netflix "Watch Now" Windows client/a few other misc. Windows programs, etc.)

Here's the deal:

I'm still on Version: 1.0 | 8/6/07 | Build: 51348

Is there any compelling reason to update to the latest version of Fusion (yes, I know it's free Smiley Wink

If it was a simple matter of click, click, click and I'm updated, I would have already done it.

My question is then: IS it a simple matter of click, click, click (simply dl'ing the DMG and running an installer?)

Will my current VM's still work with no modification?

I seem to recall that installing VMWare Tools the first time was NOT click-click-DONE.

I distinctly remember a command line and 5 or 6 alien linux/unix commands typed into a terminal.app window to install VMWare Tools. Am I recalling that correctly?

Would I have to go through that again with the update to get Tools working?

To be honest, I've gotten totally lazy since I switched from Windows to OS X and don't want to muck with things if there's no benefit.

Thanks in advance for any sage advice/tips/wisdom/affirmation of my laziness/etc.

Walter

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

One big reason to update is if you're running Leopard, since Fusion 1.0 was released before OS X 10.5 was. For other reasons, see if the release notes for what's new in 1.1 and 1.1.1. You can also go back to 1.0 if you don't like 1.1.

My question is then: IS it a simple matter of click, click, click (simply dl'ing the DMG and running an installer?)

Yes.

They should. However, you won't have the latest features unless you update Tools (e.g. you'd need to update Tools in your Windows guest to get better 3D support).

I distinctly remember a command line and 5 or 6 alien linux/unix commands typed into a terminal.app window to install VMWare Tools. Am I recalling that correctly?

There are a couple command line commands needed to get Tools working in Linux. Terminal.app is on OS X, so it's not where you would have entered them.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It you are totally happy with the status quo and not wanting any of the improvements offered in upgrading to the latest version then I'd suggest leaving well enough alone! Yes in Ubuntu it is a multi-step process some of which involves the command line so it not as straight forward as a Windows VMware Tools install.

I was so comfortable with VMware Workstation 4.5 that I never bothered to upgrade to 5 and now I'm only starting to play with 6.x. I missed out on some really nice features introduced in 5.x however I had to much invested in 4.5 to upgrade as I was able to do all that I needed to with 4.5 and other 3rd party tools and the utilities I wrote to work around some of the shortcomings.

So sometimes upgrading is not always the best choice however Fusion is a young product and I'd be quicker to upgrade now that if it was as mature as Workstation.

admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

One big reason to update is if you're running Leopard, since Fusion 1.0 was released before OS X 10.5 was. For other reasons, see if the release notes for what's new in 1.1 and 1.1.1. You can also go back to 1.0 if you don't like 1.1.

Yes.

They should. However, you won't have the latest features unless you update Tools (e.g. you'd need to update Tools in your Windows guest to get better 3D support).

There are a couple command line commands needed to get Tools working in Linux. Terminal.app is on OS X, so it's not where you would have entered them.

0 Kudos