VMware Communities
f2photo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

LaCie support on VmWare Fusion 4.02

I have a LaCie Thunderbolt drive.  I have read several posts on here that say that you can present drives to a VMWare guest.  Well I have tried this with SLES 11, RHEL 5.0 and Solaris 11 and have yet to make it work.  I have no issue with the USB drives I have, but have not found a way to present a partition or drive to the guest.  Does anyone have real world experience with this and how to do it?  I am dismayed that the answers I read in this group up until now suggested that you needed only have a paritition and make it presentable and it would work.  This is not true. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Fusion doesn't virtualize thunderbolt, so you'd have to use the shared folders feature to access it from within a guest.  A physical USB disk can be used directly by a VM.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Fusion doesn't virtualize thunderbolt, so you'd have to use the shared folders feature to access it from within a guest.  A physical USB disk can be used directly by a VM.

0 Kudos
f2photo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yeah checking with support they do not support it.  I wish they would add the bus to the support though since it is MUCH faster than USB.  I run Oracle 11gR2 RAC on my laptop using virtual guests so I can have my own test area for new things I want to develop.  USB for ASM is very slow and I could use the speed.

0 Kudos