VMware Communities
LooIes
Contributor
Contributor

Keyboard not working after migration of Windows 10 with VMware Fusion 10

I upgraded to VMware Fusion 10 and migrated a Windows 10 Professional installation to my Macbook Pro 13" Retina.  The migration completed but when I tried to type in the password nothing worked.  I had to use the sticky onscreen keyboard.  I uninstalled and reinstalled the VMware Tools.  I deleted the device and reinstalled VMware tools and still does not recognize.  There is the yellow error icon on the PS/2 keyboard. There are also two other errors on the device manager, mouse and the multi audio device.

Not being able to type makes this version useless.  I am hoping for a quick response, or I will back date and try to use 8.  If this fails, I will try to use Parallels.

3 Replies
Biagio_Paruolo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, for audio problem, you have to expand the vmware tools and install drivers from vista folder and for keyboard try to remove the device and reboot.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Actually for not having sound the fix is to remove the sound card and then add sound card again. You can do this while the VM is powered on.

When you say "migrate" do you mean that you had a physical install of Windows 10 that you moved to a virtual machine?

If that is the case, did your physical installation have a synaptic driver?

The synaptic drivers and software interfere with VMware's virtual keyboard, so in order to get your keyboard working you have to uninstall any synaptic drivers and support software.

Then reboot your virtual machine.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
YeisonNL
Contributor
Contributor

This was the right solution. I uninstalled two synaptic drivers/utilities and after restart the VM, the 'normal' keyboard worked. Thanks Wil.

0 Kudos