VMware Communities
mgstick
Contributor
Contributor

Keyboard & mouse stopped working after update to Fusion 6.0.3

I have been running Fusion 6.0.2. When I restarted it I got an "update to 6.0.3" message, so I said OK and ran the update.

After updating, the keyboard and mouse on a (Debian) Linux client VM no longer work. I can't log in or anything.

I tried creating a new keyboard & mouse profile -- didn't work.

I tried downloading the Fusion 6.0.3 installer, deleting the current application, then reinstalling -- didn't work.

So, I deleted Fusion 6.0.3, downloaded and installed Fusion 6.0.2, but the keyboard and mouse on the (Debian) Linux client VM still don't work.

All I get is a big fat mouse pointer down in the lower right corner of the window, but it won't move even one pixel.

I can boot the VM in recovery mode and log in for maintenance and use the keyboard to type on the command line, but that's it.

I noticed that /etc/init.d/vmware-tools had been renamed as 'old', and wasn't flagged as executable. I renamed it back to vmware-tools and ran chmod +x on it, but that didn't work to fix the problem either.

Anyone know how to fix this problem?

Message was edited by: mgstick

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Did you install the upgraded VMWare tools?

0 Kudos
mgstick
Contributor
Contributor

Well, eventually, yes.

The problem is that when the Fusion upgrade failed to properly install the updated VMware Tools, it left my client VM in a state where I had no way to mount the linux.iso containing the new VMware Tools installer.

I ended up being able to boot to a previous version of the kernel that was also  on the drive, and it was able to use the mouse and keyboard. Using it I mounted the VMware Tools CD (linux.iso) and copied the files to my local drive, and re-installed VMware Tools in that kernel.

I then rebooted back into the newer kernel, again in recovery mode and to the maintenance command line. From here I was able to run the VMware Tools installer from the command line and fix the problem in the newer kernel.

After all this, however, I'm back running Fusion 6.0.2 after having lost several hours to this problem. So ... not a happy camper.

I think one possible (workaround) solution to this would be if we could download and install new VMware Tools installers into Fusion and install them in problematic linux clients BEFORE the Fusion application is updated. Then, when the update occurs it shouldn't break these problematic clients. Does anyone know if this is possible?

0 Kudos