VMware Communities
thomaskn
Contributor
Contributor

Keyboard mapping how-to get an vertical bar " | "

Hi community,

running Mac OS X 10.6 and Fusion 3.0.1. Inside a VM using a local NTFS Partition running Win 7. Germany keyboard layout.

So, under Mac OS X brings up an vertical bar (|) using the macbook keyboard.

Under Windows (classic keyboard) [<] is the correct combination.

So, what to do getting an vertical bar inside a Win7 VM?

Both combinations are not functioning correctly.

Thank you for Your support and Your ideas.

Best regards

Tom

0 Kudos
4 Replies
K-MaC
Expert
Expert

Hello Tom, while this may not be a final solution for you have you tried to do Alt-124? It should put the '|' key for you.

If you found this information useful please consider awarding points.

Cheers

Kevin

Cheers Kevin
0 Kudos
thomaskn
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Kevin,

thanks for Your support - and are wellknown.. 8-) but it needs a keyboard containing a numeric block... the macboot doesn´t have one. Eieieiei.. seems becoming a greater problem... no pipe anymore...

0 Kudos
Sikkin
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Thomas,

On a MS French Keyboard, the pipe '|' is AltGr + 6, and with all my Windows VMs (W2K, WXP, Vista, WI7), I'm using, on my MacBook pro (host), the Alt (right) + 6 in ordre to mimic the MS French Keyboard which is my defaut input an all my Windows WMs (guest) .

Hope, this will help you

Pierre-Gilles

0 Kudos
thomaskn
Contributor
Contributor

"Hi Thomas,

On a MS French Keyboard, the pipe '|' is AltGr + 6, and with all my

Windows VMs (W2K, WXP, Vista, WI7), I'm using, on my MacBook pro

(host), the Alt (right) + 6 in ordre to mimic the MS French Keyboard

which is my defaut input an all my Windows WMs (guest) ."

Hi Pierre-Gilles,

Thanks a Lot for Your support. On Alt-6 ..." ] "appears at my Installation. Well I think on "normal" VMs under Fusion your way would be.. (I didn´t check this up to now..) If I´m booting directly in the bootcamp partition also Alt-Gr brings the vertical bar.. but starting with MacOS X and taking the bootcamp partition directly in a Virtual Machine inside Fusion... the troubles began. Maybe working the bootcamp drivers inside the Windows enviroment against the keyboardmappings from Fusion.

I´ve to admit - the troubles using Mac OS X are growing... probably the test "moving from win client to OS X" will fail.. 8-(

There are too many dependencies from the Windows Enviroment. No offline folders, no vi-client, not only 10% garmin maps to use and further more... not really easy these things to reproduce in an virtual bootcamp enviroment...

So, thanks to all of you for supporting.. and let´s close Thread.

best regards

Tom

0 Kudos