VMware Communities
arok618
Contributor
Contributor

Keyboard in guest sometimes unresponsive

Here's the problem - sometimes when switching over to my guest OS (XP SP2), I can't type. Mouse works ok, just no keyboard. Sometimes it clears up after a minute or two of switching between the guest and host, sometimes I end up restarting the VM.

Details: Version 1.1 with its' tools installed; the 1.1 upgrade is when the problem started. Original install was 1.0 beta. This machine is a Tiger -> Leopard upgrade on a first gen intel iMac. If more info is needed, please let me know.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
arok618
Contributor
Contributor

If I can't type reliably then Fusion doesn't do me much good.

Can a paying customer get help or am I SOL like I was with Parallels?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

While the forums are usually pretty helpful, they are not support. If you purchased Fusion in the last 30 days, you are entitled to free support (I believe the process is that you log into your VMware store account, and there should be a link to open a support request).

When the keyboard is unresponsive, does the computer beep at you when you press a key?

0 Kudos
arok618
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for replying. Yes it has been over 30 days but at the same time, I shouldn't have to purchase support to deal with a bug. If I was asking for help using the program as intended, that's different.

I had not noticed the beep before with sound turned off, but yes it does beep when Fusion won't grab the keyboard input.

0 Kudos
mlandewe
Contributor
Contributor

I found this problem was due the the CheckPoint Secure Client. Disabling it would return keyboard input immediately.

I have since disabled the CheckPoint software (it was Leopard incompatible) and am using the freeware IPSecuritas. http://www.lobotomo.com/products/IPSecuritas/

No problems with keyboard input at all...

0 Kudos
arok618
Contributor
Contributor

I don't use or have that software but thanks for the suggestion.

0 Kudos
Bob_Zimmerman
Expert
Expert

It isn't just SecureClient. If I remember correctly, some other programs which use "Secure Keyboard Entry" such as the Terminal (or Entourage, I think) can also cause problems.

0 Kudos
arok618
Contributor
Contributor

The only two programs I'm running when this happens are Fusion and Opera.

I have not changed/added/removed any software besides the Fusion 1.1 update (and any OS updates of course), which is when this seems to have started.

0 Kudos
mtatmc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Opera is the problem I think. I have experienced this. The simple fix, and it is simple, is to make sure that Opera is not minimized. For reasons I don't fully understand, the key-trap issue is a non-issue if an Opera window is open. To reiterate, if you see this problem, make sure that Opera is open on the desktop, not minimized. Move your focus to the VM and you should be good to go.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
arok618
Contributor
Contributor

Not having Opera minimized does allow keyboard input, thanks.

Why should Fusion be affected by this? Any other app I can type in with Opera minimized.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Other apps probably don't use the EventTaps API. Search the forums for Secure Input to get a better understanding of the problem. The developers know about it but changing the keyboard architecture will take some effort.

0 Kudos
mtatmc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This question has come up more than once as I recall. Is there room for it in the Beginner's Guide? I think it would also be useful in the next read-me file of the downloaded version of Fusion.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

This question has come up more than once as I recall.

Yep, it is one of the relatively frequent ones.

Is there room for it in the Beginner's Guide?

Yes (it's the web, you can cram an arbitrary amount of information in), but I don't think it really fits. I've been meaning to make some more documents - namely a "FAQ and Common Problems/Solutions" and perhaps a "Best Practices" guide, but haven't had time to do them. This would fit nicely into the FAQ.

0 Kudos
arok618
Contributor
Contributor

If it comes up frequently, it's because it shouldn't work this way. Bad app behavior is not a "beginner" issue. I'm not a programmer and frankly I couldn't care less about what API call was used and what it does or doesn't support. All I know is this worked fine before the 1.1 update and more importantly, is the only app affected.

Thank you for the replies, at least the programmers are aware and doing what they can.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

My understanding is that the API used to be better, but Apple changed it on us. 1.1 is not new in this regard, 1.0 should have the same problem; you just happened to hit it at the same time as updating to 1.1.

0 Kudos