VMware Communities
popupcop
Contributor
Contributor

Keyboard does not work - macmini

It appears that there is a problem with keyboard virtualization on some host machines. I have found a couple of related threads, but none where the problem was reported as resolved. Therefore, I am starting this new thread to report the problem again.

The mouse works very well.

The configuration of this machine is a 1GB 1.83 MHz CoreDuo Mac Mini connected to an IOGear GCS1714 KVM, connected to a Logitech Elite Keyboard.

I have tried 3 separate guests:

1) New Windows XP VM configured with default settings. Installation of the Guest cannot complete, because the Enter Key is not recognized.

2) Windows XP VM created with VMWare Workstation 5.5.3 build-34685. VMWare tools installed on the Mac.

3) Windows Me VM. VMWare tools upgraded on the Mac.

In all cases, when input is grabbed (status line reads "To return to your computer press Control-Command") pressing any key on the keyboard, pressing almost any key on the keyboard yields a low-pitched beep that apparently originates from the Mac OSX Host.

For ease of use when switching between boxes connected to the KVM, I have modified OSX's keyboard settings to swap the Control and Command keys.

The only key that seem to "get through" to the Windows guest is the Control key: pressing this Key causes Windows to display the Start menu.

I have disconnected all USB devices (with the exception of the KVM) from the Mini. Keyboard still does not work in the Guest.

I have tried the connecting the keyboard and mouse directly to the Mini (bypassing the KVM). Keyboard still does not work in the Guest.

I have edited the VMX files to disable both the USB and Sound devices. Keyboard still does not work in the Guest.

I am willing to submit an SR on this issue, and to provide any assistance (logs, etc.) required to resolve the issue.

0 Kudos
40 Replies
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

Thanks. I'll work with our support folks to take a look at the system information.

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Ben,

I sent you an email with the log files attached.

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

Hi Peter,

I've received your System Profiler output. Thanks for sending it in.

So far, I've received two or three reports of this (always with a "beep" any time a key is hit), and on different hardware with different software installed, so there doesn't seem to be a common thread.

Did the keyboard ever work in any VMs on this machine? I assume the same VMs work fine under Fusion on a different Mac, right?

0 Kudos
popupcop
Contributor
Contributor

Ben -

>Did the keyboard ever work in any VMs on this machine?

No.

I assume the same VMs work fine under Fusion on a different Mac, right?

I only have one Intel Mac here Smiley Sad

Therefore, I cannot be certain that these VM's will run on another Intel Mac.

However, this all started when I created a new Windows XP VM using Fusion, then started an XP install on it. I was unable to complete the installation because the keyboard would not respond. I cannot remember if I was using the KVM at the time...

If you wish, I could repeat the first experiment without using the KVM, that is: connect the keyboard and mouse directly to the Mini, then create a new VM, then start an XP installation.

Or, I could try downloading and running a small appliance from your Web site.

Please also note that in all these tests (except for a brief one a few days ago), the monitor has *always* been connected through the KVM.

Anyway, please let me know what additional tests that you wish me to perform. If you wish for me to try an appliance, please let me know which one - the smaller the better Smiley Wink

Peter

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

KVM devices definitely can cause issues, but not quite like you describe, with mouse and keyboard input.

If you'd like to try creating a new VM without the KVM, that would be helpful.

0 Kudos
popupcop
Contributor
Contributor

Ben -

I tried creating a new VM with the keyboard and mouse connected directly to the Mac Mini. Also, no other external USB devices were connected.

I started a Windows XP Pro install. When the install reached the point that it was asking me to press Enter, I did.

Same low-pitched beep. Smiley Sad

Peter

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

OK. We'll have to do some more investigation on this one internally and try to reproduce it.

0 Kudos
ongeluk
Contributor
Contributor

I have similar problems with a 24" iMac Core 2 Duo, however with "built-in" Bluetooth "USB" devices. Mouse works perfectly. Keyboard works, then at some point (varying from minutes to hours w/no obvious predictability) the keyboard becomes unresponsive with a typical mac "system" beep at the press of every keystroke. Keyboard will work fine within the host environment. Not sure if the same issue, but thought I would chime in.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Does the status bar at the bottom of your Fusion VM window say "To direct input to this virtual machine, click inside the window." or "To return to your computer, press Control-Cmd"?

0 Kudos
popupcop
Contributor
Contributor

I know that you post was a reply to ongeluk, but I will reply to it anyway:

It says "To return to your computer, press Control-Cmd"

Also, the Start menu key (in this case, remapped to Control) works. No other keys work.

0 Kudos
ongeluk
Contributor
Contributor

Yes it does -- although my mouse is not constrained to the VM window and moves freely in and out -- the window acts like any other mac window in terms of input for the mouse.

0 Kudos
TheLoneVM
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

ongeluk: Has the keyboard ever become unresponsive while you were actively using it? I have heard that some bluetooth devices that go into a sleep mode when they are not used for awhile, and don't wake up correctly.

popupcop: I sent you a private message, get back to me when you can. Thanks!

0 Kudos
ongeluk
Contributor
Contributor

Yes -- the failure does not seem to be related to activity...it has happened both while in the virtual machine (just started beeping instead of typing) as well as while the VM is either in the background or closed, and I have been on the Mac side...then returned to VM and unresponsive.

Also, as others have posted the Apple/Command key brings up the my computer menu -- so the keyboard is obviously active and connected to the OS.

0 Kudos
TheLoneVM
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Ongeluk, please check your private messages

0 Kudos
toddgruben
Contributor
Contributor

I experience this problem on my macbook as well. it only seems to happen with non-graphical operating systems. It happend on a win2k install(the textual part) and it happens on my ubuntu 7.04 server install. I have not installed X. I can restart my mac and reload the vm and it will work fine for a while. I am unable to determine what causes the issue. I can ssh into the vm session and it works fine but when i go back to the vmware console it just beeps at me.

0 Kudos
itsalan
Contributor
Contributor

I'm running into this same problem. This is on a macbook pro, no keyboard input through an existing VM or when I try to install a new VM as well. I've tried reinstalling several times also. Any thoughts on this or perhaps a solution?

Thanks

0 Kudos
itsalan
Contributor
Contributor

nevermind, I actually got this fixed myself. I just uninstalled fusion, did a spotlight search for anything vmware and deleted it. I had to do this a few times actually, and when I reinstalled it miraculously worked.

0 Kudos
mmulin
Contributor
Contributor

i have the same problem and seeing that this thread started more than a year ago i am really

the following picture:

\- 10.4.10/MB C2D 2.16/2GB

\- VMware Fusion 1.0 (51348)

\- XP SP2 installed as only VM

\- worked fine for a while with & w/o USB devices

\- suddenly after a opening the VM again, VM stopped accepting keyboard input

\- activated USB PHS radio was running at this moment; whether or not that mattered but it worked fine before

\- by default USB device are not enabled for the VM's purpose

tried the following:

\- restarting VM - no change

\- restarting VMwF - no change

\- deleting USB device class for the VM's setting and restarting VMwF- no change

\- uninstalling VMwF & deleting all VM related files from the system except the VM - success

i like the product but suddenly being in-front of the login in screen of an VM and can't do anything w/ the keyboard anymore spoils the fun.

please?

0 Kudos
davidch
Contributor
Contributor

I've had the same problem the interesting thing is if I change the rights to the VM and run it under a different user account things work fine. Switching back to the original account, the keyboard is still locked out. I've attempted to look for user based configuration files, but I can only find the ones located in the /private/var/run directory. Which of course I've removed, but it hasn't resolved my problems yet.

0 Kudos
vlakmire
Contributor
Contributor

I am working in macbookpro and have similar behavior in OS X...

For some reason when running Finder or Firefox or Mail on OS X if I leave for a period of time (3 min or so) and return and try to CMD + TAB to another APP only the TAB key works until I click the mouse in various Mac locations...in particular inside a virtual machine and then back out of it.

Relevance: when in fusion running linux I couldn't type my info either but I could type in OS X. It turned out I also had parallels running XP at the same time so now OS X, parallels, and fusion seemed to be confused at times on which enviornment had the focus. My solution that appears to work is to context switch to another application then CMD + TAB back to Fusion and the keyboard focus would return.

Something with keyboard mapping and parallels and vmware...

maybe this helps.

0 Kudos