VMware Communities
popupcop
Contributor
Contributor

Keyboard does not work - macmini

It appears that there is a problem with keyboard virtualization on some host machines. I have found a couple of related threads, but none where the problem was reported as resolved. Therefore, I am starting this new thread to report the problem again.

The mouse works very well.

The configuration of this machine is a 1GB 1.83 MHz CoreDuo Mac Mini connected to an IOGear GCS1714 KVM, connected to a Logitech Elite Keyboard.

I have tried 3 separate guests:

1) New Windows XP VM configured with default settings. Installation of the Guest cannot complete, because the Enter Key is not recognized.

2) Windows XP VM created with VMWare Workstation 5.5.3 build-34685. VMWare tools installed on the Mac.

3) Windows Me VM. VMWare tools upgraded on the Mac.

In all cases, when input is grabbed (status line reads "To return to your computer press Control-Command") pressing any key on the keyboard, pressing almost any key on the keyboard yields a low-pitched beep that apparently originates from the Mac OSX Host.

For ease of use when switching between boxes connected to the KVM, I have modified OSX's keyboard settings to swap the Control and Command keys.

The only key that seem to "get through" to the Windows guest is the Control key: pressing this Key causes Windows to display the Start menu.

I have disconnected all USB devices (with the exception of the KVM) from the Mini. Keyboard still does not work in the Guest.

I have tried the connecting the keyboard and mouse directly to the Mini (bypassing the KVM). Keyboard still does not work in the Guest.

I have edited the VMX files to disable both the USB and Sound devices. Keyboard still does not work in the Guest.

I am willing to submit an SR on this issue, and to provide any assistance (logs, etc.) required to resolve the issue.

0 Kudos
40 Replies
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Are you running USB Overdrive? It's been implicated as causing problems in some cases. If you are running Overdrive, try disabling it.

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

It seems Fusion has a conflict with Logitech keyboard drivers on Mac OS.

Have you tried any other keyboards?

0 Kudos
popupcop
Contributor
Contributor

No, I am not running USB Overdrive.

Perhaps the only odd thing that I am running that relates to USB is a driver for the serial connection to my cell phone. I will research this to see if it can be uninstalled.

0 Kudos
popupcop
Contributor
Contributor

All my other keyboards are PS2, but I was able to borrow an Apple keyboard from a friend. I connected the keyboard directly to the Mini and verified that OSX recognized it by pressing the disk eject key. Still no keyboard in the Windows XP guest.

0 Kudos
popupcop
Contributor
Contributor

I have uninstalled all non-apple kernel extensions, including Parallels' extensions and the Prolific USB serial port that I use to connect to my cell phone. Still no keyboard inside the Guest, except for the start menu key.

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

Are there any keyboard or mouse errors in ~/vmware/your-vm-name/vmware.log ?

0 Kudos
popupcop
Contributor
Contributor

As far as I can tell from reading the log, I don't think so.

An example of a keyboard or mouse error message would be very helpful. If I could see what an error message looks like, I could search the log m ore reliably...

0 Kudos
popupcop
Contributor
Contributor

P.S. Thanks for the hint about the log location, but my VM's are on an external firewire drive, so the location of the log is not relative to $HOME (or ~).

This is a Mac Mini and VM's take a \*lot* of disk space Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
leE_b
Contributor
Contributor

Just to chime in here...

I am experiencing the same error:

\- No interaction with the keyboard what so ever, full screen, windowed, copies of known working good VMs, new VMs.

\- No keyboard or mouse errors in the VMWare logs that I can see

\- Mac OS X version 10.4.8

\- Hardware: Mac Mini 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo

I've also tried fiddling with changing the keyboard type and things like that - with no luck.

As far as I can tell there is nothing odd about my system...

Any help, suggestions, debugging tips, etc gratefully recieved Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
leE_b
Contributor
Contributor

Typical I have issues for days... post and work out the answer 20 secs later Smiley Wink

It transpires that Fusion really doesn't cope well with my having a Wacom device attached to the system. Unplug that - and everything starts working fine!

Maybe it's worth unplugging all USB stuff other than Keyboard and Mouse, incase you have a similar "conflict" ? Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
popupcop
Contributor
Contributor

I have also tried disconnecting the KVM switch and using an Apple USB Keyboard.

I have also tried disconnecting the KVM switch and using a Microsoft Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse.

In all cases, the behavior is the same. Low pitched (OS X) beeps on a key press within the VM, with the exception of the key that brings up the Start Menu.

Command-Control does release capture in the VM Window.

No obvious errors in the log file.

0 Kudos
Mark_Wilson
Contributor
Contributor

It transpires that Fusion really doesn't cope well

with my having a Wacom device attached to the system.

Unplug that - and everything starts working fine!

Thank you Smiley Happy

This solved my problem... (I have a load of USB devices connected because this is a Mac Mini with a tiny hard drive - current list is mouse, keyboard, ipod cable - disconnected from ipod, 2x external hard disk, scanner - but graphics tablet unplugged now)

0 Kudos
oleonav
Contributor
Contributor

Typical I have issues for days... post and work out

the answer 20 secs later Smiley Wink

It transpires that Fusion really doesn't cope well

with my having a Wacom device attached to the system.

Unplug that - and everything starts working fine!

Maybe it's worth unplugging all USB stuff other than

Keyboard and Mouse, incase you have a similar

"conflict" ? Smiley Happy

The same applies to a iMac 20 inch. With a Wacom tablet attached to the mac no keyboard input is available. Disconnecting the tablet, then starting up Fusion works ok. Re-attaching the tablet after starting Fusion works ok.

Message was edited by:

oleonav

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

Thanks for the report, oleonav. We've reproduced and fixed this issue internally, and the fix will be in the next release.

0 Kudos
popupcop
Contributor
Contributor

Mr. or Ms. Gerzfield -

I am the originator of this thread, and as far as I know (via /usr/sbin/kextstat ) have no non-apple kernel extensions loaded (other than the 3 vmware extensions listed below, no Wacom table, no fancy input drivers, no obvious errors in the logs, and have tested with a number of different keyboard configurations.

I have yet to get the keyboard to work inside the VM.

1) Does your response to oleonav apply only to compatibility issues with the Wacom tablet, or does it cover the more general issue that I raised in this thread?

2) If not, is there any data that I could send or a bug report that I could submit that covers this issue?

VMware kernel extensions:

125 0 0x2c811000 0x1b000 0x1a000 com.vmware.kext.vmmon (1.0.0d1) <11 5 4 3 2>
126 0 0x2c88c000 0x5000 0x4000 com.vmware.kext.vmioplug (1.0.0d1) <33 19 5 4 3>
127 0 0x2c891000 0x5000 0x4000 com.vmware.kext.vmnet (1.0.0d1) <5 4 3 2>

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

Hi popupcop,

Sorry my earlier response in this thread wasn't clear.

I'll guess that since you have a Logitech keyboard that you installed Logitech's software. You haven't mentioned whether or not you have Logitech's software installed, but it's quite likely, since we've used these keyboards and mice with success, but without installing any extra software.

There's a known conflict with Logitech's software in the current beta that causes mouse movements to be ignored. I \*believe* the conflict had the same root cause that created issues with Wacom tablets and certain Bluetooth input devices. If so, the fix will be in the next release. We're currently internally confirming whether or not the fix corrects conflicts with Logitech's software.

Can you see if you can disable or uninstall Logitech's software in the meantime? Note that not all keyboard/mouse drivers are actually kernel extensions in Mac OS X; some (like the Wacom drivers) are actually background processes.

Ben

0 Kudos
popupcop
Contributor
Contributor

Ben -

>>I'll guess that since you have a Logitech keyboard that you installed Logitech's software. You haven't

>> mentioned whether or not you have Logitech's software installed, but it's quite likely, since we've used

>> these keyboards and mice with success, but without installing any extra software.

I did at one time install the Logitech software on this Mac Mini, and learned that the Logitech software does not work when the keyboard is connected through a KVM. I also did uninstall the Logitech software. To verify that the uninstall was complete, I installed the Logitech software again on a G4 mini in this location, and verified that it installed a kernel extension (com.Logitech.driver.HIDDevices.) This kernel extension is not present on this system. Logitech also ran a daemon process that is not present on this system, and installed a System preferences panel that is not present on this system

I did find a possible culprit on this system. There was a Logitech kext (LogitechForceFeedback.kext) in

/System/Library/Extensions. Removing this (and restarting this computer) had no effect. (As far as I can tell, the kext was never loaded during any of my tests...)

>>There's a known conflict with Logitech's software in the current beta that causes

>> mouse movements to be ignored.

The mouse (in all my tests, a Microsoft optical wheel mouse) has always worked fine in all my tests.

And I also removed a Prolific USBSerial kext from this system. (As I said in a prior message)

Therefore, I am at a loss as to what is happening, since all of the possible causes that you and others have mentioned are not present on this system...

Peter

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

Interesting. As far as I know, we've never seen a case where the mouse worked in the guest but the keyboard didn't.

Can you open a support request to track this issue?

http://www.vmware.com/support/services/Beta.html

Please include the output of System Profiler (File -> Save and attach the file) so we can look at what else is connected to your system.

0 Kudos
popupcop
Contributor
Contributor

Ben -

SR# 353562 submitted. Zip file with System profiler output in both XML and text attached.

I am willing to work with VMWare to try to figure this one out....

Peter

0 Kudos