VMware Communities
cabinum
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Keyboard disabled suddenly on VMWFusion 11.5.3 / Windows 10 running on Catalina

I've had zero problems until this morning when I booted the VM and can no longer use the keyboard.  At the Windows login screen, I was able to enter two characters of my PIN before the keyboard quit working.  Thereafter, got a "updating Windows" notice.  Let that run through completion, and tried to shut down the VM.  VM has been "shutting down" for the last 15 minutes, and keyboard input is still disabled, though the mouse works fine on both Mac, VM and Windows.  In my Windows USB & Bluetooth settings, neither the mouse nor keyboard show up even though the mouse works fine.  Have restarted the Mac Mini (2013) that this is running on and unticked / reticked the Accessibility in Security Prefs without any change.  I am now unable to shut down the VM as it seems completely hung up shutting down.  I've searched the threads here and tried everything I could find that seemed remotely related to this problem, and hope someone can give me a hand.  Thanks in advance! 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cabinum
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Soooo . . . not exactly how this stands, but am able to get back into Windows.  I used the lost PIN option and was able to log in to Windows and move forward.  I haven't logged out to see if the PIN screen will recognize the keyboard yet, but since Windows just updated, it may be an issue there rather than anywhere else, especially since the lost PIN screens recognized keyboard input to retrieve access.  As always, things like this only happen when there's a deadline, but this one was a relatively simple fix. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
cabinum
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry, also forgot to add that when I try to shut down VMWare Fusion, I get the "The virtual machine "Windows 10 x64 is busy." message which prevents me from doing anything.

0 Kudos
cabinum
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Soooo . . . not exactly how this stands, but am able to get back into Windows.  I used the lost PIN option and was able to log in to Windows and move forward.  I haven't logged out to see if the PIN screen will recognize the keyboard yet, but since Windows just updated, it may be an issue there rather than anywhere else, especially since the lost PIN screens recognized keyboard input to retrieve access.  As always, things like this only happen when there's a deadline, but this one was a relatively simple fix. 

0 Kudos