VMware Communities
robiso22
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Kext rejected in Fusion 10

Hi,

We had a user who upgraded to High Sierra and Fusion 10. He was getting a cannot connect to peer process on starting a VM. Looking in the console, we're getting a kernel extension security violation. Booting to recovery mode and disabling the system integrity check and then trying to get back into a fusion vm works. I'm assuming this is a bug since he has all the default security settings. This is my first time on the forum, how do I report this as a bug?

Fusion Error.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Did the user approve the KEXT from the Security preference pane?

Installing VMware Fusion triggers System Extension Blocked notification on Mac OS 10.13 High Sierra

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Did the user approve the KEXT from the Security preference pane?

Installing VMware Fusion triggers System Extension Blocked notification on Mac OS 10.13 High Sierra

-
0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Also, you shouldn't need to disable SIP for 'normal' VMs. It's a workaround that only applies to BootCamp VMs.

-
0 Kudos
mpdharley
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same issue but have not disabled SIP.  Mac security preferences display the extension blocked message; however, clicking allow does not do anything.  I have rebooted, reinstalled High Sierra, reinstalled VMware (10.0.1), removing preference and cache files (before installing again), all to no avail.

I also tried copying the VMware kext files into the /Library/Extensions directory (suggestion from Apple support).  Nothing has worked so far and my VMs are still down.

Mike

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Can you get in touch with our support team? We're here to help, and we're taking this internally so it's good for us to associate support cases to the bug.

desktop-services@vmware.com

Thanks!

-
0 Kudos
mpdharley
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Mikero,

I worked with support last weekend, ticket 17585866309.  At the time I did not have an external keyboard to connect to the headless mini and could not do a recovery.  After trying everything else and without the keyboard, the tech asked me to contact Apple.

Since then I did obtain an external keyboard and performed the OS recovery, which did fix the issue.

Mike

0 Kudos
robiso22
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

He came down with a new machine, installed Fusion 10 in front of me and it exhibited the same behavior. I'll reach out. Thanks.

0 Kudos
atakacs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

FWIW having the exact same issue...

Any suggestion most welcome

0 Kudos
pmh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Regarding not being able to click on the button in the control panel in Privacy & Security to authorize the Kext.

I had the same problem. I ended up tracking down an article on Apple support that explained that for security reasons, Apple now disallows the button (with no error message! Grrrrr.....) when there is any software running which can generate synthetic clicks. The point of disallowing the button was to prevent any of these apps from covertly adding and authorizing a kext. OK, I understand and appreciate the block, I just have a problem with Apple not displaying a message saying that it's blocked, why it's blocked and steps to take to unblock it.

On my machine, the software that was blocking the button was Forticlient. By exiting Forticlient, the button once again became clickable, authorizing the Kext and I could then restart Forticlient.

If you have any software running that might be able to generate synthetic clicks/events, quit it and try to click again.

0 Kudos