VMware Communities
witka
Contributor
Contributor

Kernel panic while installing Yosemite guest on fusion 7?

Hi,

I am trying to create a Yosemite guest in Fusion 7 Pro. The host machine is a Macbook Pro late 2011 running Mavericks 10.9.5 with 8GB RAM.

I have followed all the steps outlined in the following

1. Select File > New from the Fusion menu bar....DONE
  2. Select Install from disc or image and click Continue.....DONE
  3. Drag and drop the Install OS X Yosemite application into Use operating system installation disc or image dialog box....DONE
  4. Click Continue.....DONE
  5. Fusion should automatically discover the Guest Operating System. If not, ensure that the Operating System is set to Apple Mac OS X and that the version is set to Mac OS X 10.10. Click Continue....DONE
  6. If you want to modify any of the settings, such as memory (RAM), CPU, or hard disk size, click Customize Settings and specify the non-default values.....DONE
  7. Click Finish. The installation starts.

When the guest boots up i get a kernel panic "imageboot_mount_image: di_root_image failed: 2\n"@SourceCache/xnu/xnu-2782.20.48/bsd/ern/imageboot.c:142"

I am attaching a screen capture of the whole message.

Has anyone come across something similar? How did you fix it?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Interesting.  I think I know what is happening.  Can you try renaming the installer application on the host to "Install OS X Yosemite.app", and try creating a completely new virtual machine from that?

Please let me know whether or not that resolves the problem.  It sounds like a bug that we should correct.

Thanks,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
witka
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Darius,

You were right. I renamed the file and it worked perfectly.

Thanks,

Nathan

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks very much for letting us know of the outcome.  I have filed a bug report so that we can investigate fixing the underlying issue.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos