VMware Communities
DirkToo
Contributor
Contributor

Kernel panic installing OSX guest 10.12 in Fusion 11.0.3

While Kernel panic in OSX guest on Fusion 10.0.1 when configured for 3 or more CPU's claims to be solved, I have the same issue with Fusion 11.0.3 as soon I allocate more than 2 vCPUs - kernel panics in OSX installer (10.12 or 10.13), usually close to the end of the installation process.

Host is a new Mac Mini i7 8700B (6 core + HT), macOS 10.14.4 . For RAM allocation I tried anything from the 2GB "recommended" by the VMWare config dialog up to 50 GB, and several in between. I can create a similar VM (4vCPU, 8GB) without trouble on a different machine (10.13.6 host - 4yo iMac) but when I move that guest I also get the guest kernel panics early in the boot process.

Given the experiences of the previous thread, is it safe to continue using virtual machines with 2 vCPUs until the issue is resolved? I'd hate to return the machine ...

Is there another RADAR pending?

4 Replies
JessieZhang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

DirkToo​,

This issue is fixed by Apple side, the panic can be observed for any Mac OS install image < 10.13.4, but the panic should be gone if you use a macOS install image which is >=10.13.4.

0 Kudos
DirkToo
Contributor
Contributor

The mentioned 4 vCPU image created on the 10.13 iMac and moved to the new Mac Mini was upgraded to 10.12.6 (that is 10.12.latest) before moving. It had kernel panics immediately on boot. So this is definitely an issue of either the Mini or its 10.14.4 .

To give the latest OSX 10.12 a try as per your recommendation, I downloaded the latest installer version 12.6.03 from https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/macos-sierra/id1127487414?mt=12 and installed on the Mini as 4 vCPUs, 16384 GB. The only change was that the guest kernel panics now come before the first dialog.

The 10.13 download from https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/macos-high-sierra/id1246284741?mt=12 turned out as a minimum installer and it was not accepted by the VMWare guest installer. 10.13 is anyway not my goal.

My main question remains unanswered:

Considering the experiences of the previous thread, is it safe to continue with 2 vCPUs?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

FWIW, another data point where it works as expected.

Not a mac mini, but my host's CPU is i7-8850H, running Fusion 11.0.3 on macOS 10.14.4 and have no problems running a 10.10 guest with 3 vCPUs

-

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
DirkToo
Contributor
Contributor

@wila

Thanks and confirmed - OSX 10.10.5 via installer version 1.6.43, 3 then 4 vCPUs also works here, but to me that's less important.