VMware Communities
raiford
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Kernel panic in OSX guest on Fusion 10.0.1 when configured for 3 or more CPU's

I have had a lot of kernel panics when booting OSX guests if I configure 3 or more cpus.  It never panics with 1 or 2 cpus, rarely happens with 3 cpus, and almost always happens with 4 or more cpus.  Stragely it does eventually boot after many failed attempts.

I don't see the problem on an ESXi server so I'm guessing it may point to a hardware problem on my laptop (Late 2016 15" MBP w/ touchbar), but the machine passes all Apple hardware diagnostics.  Is it possible this a known problem with Fusion?  Is it possible to set cpu affinity to prevent Fusion from using certain cpu cores?  I believe I have a directory full of boot failure logs but I forget where they are written.  Should I attach a bunch of them?

Thanks in advance!

Edit:  The same behavior occurs on Fusion 10.1.0 as well as 10.1.1.  It appears that several other people experience the same issue, so it may indeed be a bug in Fusion.

53 Replies
alexlissy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Maybe, but given the lack of feedback on the real issue here and any informations on where / when it's being fixed or worked around, we can only hope and guess.

0 Kudos
raiford
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Mikero said that Fusion 10.14 should have the real fix, so I'll hold out hope for that.  I agree it is a shame there isn't much visibility into what is really happening here.

0 Kudos
alexlissy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Are you sure? My understanding was that it's macOS 10.14 that will bring the real fix, not Fusion 10.1.4. At least, that's how I read the comment.

raiford
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Oh, right.. My mistake.  This is why he suggested trying to download the beta.  The version numbers are too close to each other Smiley Happy

I know that I tried most OSX/macOS versions when I first identified this problem and I believe that included High Sierra.  Since I'm now able to reliably boot a High Sierra guest, maybe Apple rolled the fix into it as well.  I've been holding off the upgrade to High Sierra on my laptop, but maybe I'll give it a go and see if other guests boot reliably. It probably won't be until next weekend but I'll update this thread when I have something to report.

0 Kudos
alexlissy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgraded the VM to macOS 10.14, and I can boot with 8 vCPUs.

tombsb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear all,

any news on the subject? Tried to create a Yosemite or El Capitan VM with Fusion 10.1.3 and Yosemite says there is a problem, while El Capitan goes into a reboot loop with a kernel panic.

All later macOS versions work fine.

I really need this to work ...

Thanks

Tom

0 Kudos
raiford
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have Fusion 11.0.2 installed.  I'll load up both a Yosemite vm and an El Capitan vm and see how they do.  Will post results shortly...

raiford
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok, I've installed Yosemite and it seems to work great.  I can boot with any number of cpu cores and it seems quite happy.  I did keep it at 2 cpu's until after I installed all os updates and until I installed the vmware tools (which I had to track down a set that works with Yosemite).

I'll blow away this vm and load up El Capitan but honestly I bet it will be fine.  It seems this issue has finally been resolved.

raiford
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

El Capitan also works as expected.  I don't know when this problem was resolved but I'm guessing it was with Fusion 11.  I'm going to mark this as resolved at this point.

tombsb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much, raiford. This would imply that obviously Fusion 10.x causes the problem and that it might work with version 11. Hmm, will check if I can find a demo online prior to updating, because everything else works okay.

Kind Regards,

Tom

0 Kudos
tombsb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After purchasing the update to Fusion 11, there is still no way to install with my OS X Yosemite Installer from the Apple App Store.

Fusion launches, shows the white apple on black ground and then goes into a reboot loop, displaying kernel panic messages. Any ideas what this could be? That´s really absolutely frustrating ...

Thanks
Tom

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Tom,

AFAIK, the problem was not just Fusion 10, but also apple. Are you on the latest macOS Mojave?

FWIW, as another data point I have no problem booting a Yosemite VM with 3 vCPU's.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
raiford
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If it helps, I created iso files for each of the OSX versions from each of the App Store downloads.  This iso is what I used to install Yosemite.  Also, I'm running Fusion on a 15" MacBook Pro (2016) running macOS Sierra (10.12.6).

Also, if you are getting kernel panics with 2 cpu's configured you are running into a different problem than what we are discussing in this thread.  If you are getting the kernel panics with more cpu's configured, I suggest dropping the cpu's to 2 until OSX is fully installed and patched.  There was definitely an Apple component to this fix.

Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Not the same issue as this thread. Please start a new one.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF