VMware Communities
breilly
Contributor
Contributor

Kernel Panic when Netbooting

Good Morning

When trying to NetBoot from Fusion I get a Kernel Panic and the VM never actually boots.

I've tired the following:

- Reboot the host Mac

- Restarted VM Fusion

- Created a new VM

Each different option results in the same panic.

I'm running macOS 10.12.5. and Fusion Pro 8.5.8

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I'm assuming that you are running macOS 10.12.5 on both the host and inside the VM, and that the panic is occurring within the VM – it's not a host failure.  Let me know if my assumptions are wrong!

Can you provide any more details about the panic itself?  Sometimes the panic message will appear on screen.  Other times, the panic message will be logged into the vmware.log file within the virtual machine's bundle.  Those details are very useful for figuring out what has gone wrong.

If you can find the vmware.log inside the log bundle, it'd be most helpful if you could attach it to a reply here in this discussion thread – just look for the Attach link in the lower-right corner when composing your reply.  (Please don't copy-and-paste the whole log into your reply... it makes a mess of the discussion thread.)

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
breilly
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Darius

Yep - you are right, both the VM and the Host are running 10.12.5 and the kernel panic is in the vm.

Attached is a screen grab of the panic and the vmware.log file.

Thanks

Ben

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hmmmm... that's an odd one.

Probably the first thing I'd try is bumping up the VM's memory allocation.  2 GBytes is the minimum for macOS, and it'll need more memory when NetBooted than it would normally, so perhaps try with 4 GBytes.

Otherwise... Have you tried running exactly the same macOS version as a VM on that same host, but installed onto a regular virtual hard disk?

My next suggestion would be to try removing virtual hardware, one piece at a time, to see if the VM is objecting to any particular virtual device.  Removing the virtual HDD and CD/DVD drives could be a start.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
breilly
Contributor
Contributor

I created a fresh VM and install macOS Sierra on to it.

Logged into the VM and checked the network setting.

I then shut the VM down and rebooted with the Network set and the Startup Disk.

The VM Netbooted Smiley Wink

0 Kudos