VMware Communities
ourmachine
Contributor
Contributor

Keeping the Administrative privileges for Boot Camp disks for a shared vm for multiple users on the same machine

We have Mac labs with boot camp setup and would like for the users to be able to access the windows side via VMWare fusion. I have created a vm for the boot camp partition and moved it to the shared users folder and set permission per KB 1005196. But for every new user that tries to start that VM they are prompted for admin privileges. I know if I type the admin account info and go to settings for the vm i can set it to never ask for admin privileges after that, but it unrealistic to do this for every user. Is there a way to have that setting set for all new users.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

You didn't say what version of VMware Fusion you're using!  Anyway, in VMware Fusion 6 as an example, looking at the Boot Camp: Advanced settings when one sets "Administrative privileges for Boot Camp disks" to "Never Ask" then the "/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/rawdiskAuthorization" file is created/modified setting the Users UID in authNeverAskUIDs as in the following example.

authAlwaysAskUIDs = ""

authNeverAskUIDs = "501, 502"

So if you want to set it up ahead of time with a string of UIDs then those Users will not be prompted! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
ourmachine
Contributor
Contributor

We will be running version 7, and I will give this a try on Monday to see if I can get it to work in our environment.

0 Kudos
ourmachine
Contributor
Contributor

I tested it with local accounts and I ran in to some issues. First, when I manually added the uids to the the rawdiskAuthorization file it still prompted for admin privileges the first time VMWare fusion was run on the new account, secondly when I changed the setting to never prompt it only keeps the uids of the ones that have had the setting changed inside of VMWare fusion I made and the only uid in the file is the current user. There is a third issue we have the macs joined to our Active Directory, and the uids are longer and more complex, and there is no way to know what uids will be needed on what machine a head of time. Assuming the manually added the uids to the file works, i should be able to setup a login script to add the current users uid to that file. Its either that or have the VMWare fusion app load from a script that has bumped privileges just for loading that app.

0 Kudos