VMware Communities
VBOT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Keep in Dock - No way to run with application switches?

I guess the Keep in Dock option only ties in directly to the program executable itself and currently cannot run with command line switches, can it? Some programs that we're running need certain switches included in the command line arguments when they're first launched. Not sure if there's some background settings that can be adjusted to get around this or if it's bascially a feature request.

Thanks in advance. :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I've already peeked at the package contents for the Application file that gets created within my Virtual Machine folder for these apps and tried to adjust the property list file to include the switches in DOGuestExecutablePath but that unfortunately didn't work... with or without quotation marks. I'll experiment with it a bit more but I'm probably barking up the wrong tree. :smileysilly:

Try changing the path to point at the shortcut.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'm not familiar with Windows, but I think you could create a launcher in the guest that has the switches, then keep that in the Dock.

0 Kudos
VBOT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the suggestion. The applications do run properly from the Applications drop-down menu or by right clicking the VMWare icon and going thru the Windows XP submenu because they're targetting the Windows shortcut directly (which include the switches). I just don't seem to be able to accomplish the same thing via the Keep in Dock option because I think it only creates a link to the executable file and not the shortcuts which have the command line arguments. It's certainly not crucial to be able to run via the dock since it really just saves me a couple of clicks. I just like the feature and had hoped it would work for all of my apps.

What I've been doing is running the apps via the launcher then right clicking the icon in the dock and selecting 'Keep in Dock'. This will run the app properly the first time but after closing the app and relaunching from the dock will only run the executable and none of the additional switches.

I've already peeked at the package contents for the Application file that gets created within my Virtual Machine folder for these apps and tried to adjust the property list file to include the switches in DOGuestExecutablePath but that unfortunately didn't work... with or without quotation marks. I'll experiment with it a bit more but I'm probably barking up the wrong tree. :smileysilly:

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Try changing the path to point at the shortcut.

0 Kudos
VBOT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Brilliant! Thanks that worked perfectly. :smileylaugh:

Cheers mate.

0 Kudos