VMware Communities
Skovian
Contributor
Contributor

Keep guest OS resolution when application changes it's resolution

I've seen this posted before, but no real answers, so I'll add a little to the discussion.

I'm running OS X 10.10.2, Fusion 7.1.1, and a few guest OS's, the one in question being Windows XP, everything has all service packs and updates. 

I want to run the original StarCraft and BroodWar on this guest OS.  I have installed both of them and they run, but they shrink my guest OS window to 640x480.  This is quite small on a 4k display.  How can I keep the guest OS from shrinking to match the application?

While doing some other testing, I've noticed that it's not just related to StarCraft.  When I ran DXDiag and put it through it's paces, the guest OS window shrank when DirectX testing shrank it's resolution to 640x480.  So, it's not just StarCraft.  When any application wants to run in a smaller resolution, Fusion will shrink to match it.  There must be some way to lock the window to a specific size. 

Thank you in advance for your info.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
zhus
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Skovian,

Is it the similar problem as below thread?

https://communities.vmware.com/message/2283840#2283840

0 Kudos
Skovian
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the reply.  The problem sounds very similar.

I read the thread and added the two lines to the beginning of the preferences file, after the ".encoding = "UTF-8"" line but it didn't have any effect.  The guest OS window still resizes to the lower resolution.  Should they be placed in a specific location in the file?

I'm editing the correct file.  I click Go then Go to Folder, then typed in~/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/ and edited the preferences file with TextEdit.  Should I also edit preferences-private?

What course of action would you recommend?

Thank you.

0 Kudos