VMware Communities
sgalland
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Kali 2022.4 Installation Step Failed

Hello!

I am trying to install Kali 2022.4 on VMware Fusion 13 (trial) on an M1 Mac and I get an error that the Installation Step Failed. I've done some preliminary research, and I'm finding a few older posts where this has happened in the past to people on older VMware versions, but no answers as to how to fix it.

I'm not sure if this is an issue with Kali or VMware or the Apple Silicon. Any suggestions?

Edit:

I'm using MacOS Monterey 12.6, the Kali 2022.4 installer specifically for Apple Silicon, and VMware Fusion Pro 13.0.0 (trial).

Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 12.12.25 PM.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sgalland
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I figured it out!

On the Choose Operating System selection I needed to select Debian 12.x instead of Other Linux 5.x.  It changes the amount of storage and memory is allocated. I have now successfully completed the install.

Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 12.54.58 PM.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Just to make sure, you're using the ARM installer, right?

sgalland
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, the Kali installer specifically for Apple silicon.

0 Kudos
sgalland
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I figured it out!

On the Choose Operating System selection I needed to select Debian 12.x instead of Other Linux 5.x.  It changes the amount of storage and memory is allocated. I have now successfully completed the install.

Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 12.54.58 PM.png

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I just downloaded and successfully installed from the 2022.4 Apple Silicon (ARM64) installer image.

What's the configuration of your VM? I created a VM as Debian 11.x 64-bit ARM VM with 2 CPUs, 4096 MB memory and 20 GB hard disk.

The installer will fail if your virtual hard drive is too small. I've been able to reproduce this problem with an 8GB hard disk size. 20GB will allow the installation to complete successfully.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
sgalland
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yep, that was exactly the issue, as I found out right before you posted.  I hadn't considered that I wasn't allocating enough resources.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

We crossed responses on the forum as I tried to reproduce your issue. Glad you were able to get it working!

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos