VMware Communities
aforjeh
Contributor
Contributor

KVM/Nested Virtualization Support in Fusion 12.1.2 (macOS Big Sur 11.5.2/iMac Pro 2017

Hi

At some point over the last 12 months (I've not required it for a while) nested virtualisation seems to have stopped working.

I'm using a product/VM called GNS3 which is a linux VM, that uses other virtualisation (Qemu) to run nested VMs. This worked fine previously, but now does not. 

The VM reports 'KVM Support available: False'. If I run this same VM on another machine (same macOS, on different hardware, or on Windows) it reports true and works fine. 

In the VM, I do have settings/processors+memory/'enable hypervisor applications in this virtual machine' enabled.

My hardware is:

Model Name: iMac Pro

Model Identifier: iMacPro1,1

Processor Name: 8-Core Intel Xeon W

Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 8

L2 Cache (per Core): 1 MB

L3 Cache: 11 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 32 GB

System Firmware Version: 1554.140.20.0.0 (iBridge: 18.16.14759.0.1,0)

Serial Number (system): --removed--

Hardware UUID: FB82319B-9597-5F9B-A1B7-90C1A75B68AB

Provisioning UDID: FB82319B-9597-5F9B-A1B7-90C1A75B68AB

Activation Lock Status: Enabled

Is there a trick to re-enabling this? 

Edit: On this same PC, If I run the VM in VirtualBox, the KVM support shows as true and it works.... so it definitely looks like VMware is dropping the ball here...

Moderator edit by wila: Removed the system serial number as you never should share that in public

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

VMWare switched to the apple hypervisor (which will be the only option going forward), and that has nested virtualization limitations due to CPU dependencies.  There's a bunch of other threads here with more details.

0 Kudos
Soji2
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issue and still haven't found a solution either from Vmware or GNS3. The unfortunate thing is I just paid for my Vmware fusion and it's not doing the job for me.

Does anyone know if there's a solution yet?

0 Kudos