VMware Communities
AdamC2
Contributor
Contributor

Just installed VMware Fusion 13.0.2, "Transport (VMDB) error -14: Pipe connection has been broken"

I just installed VMware Fusion 13.0.2 on macOS Monterey 12.6.5.

I was previously using Parallels, so I imported my Linux VM over successfully.

I then tried to import my Windows 10 VM, which imported successfully, but when I try to open it I get 

Transport (VMDB) error -14: Pipe connection has been broken

I now get the same error when trying to open the Linux VM, which was previously opening.

I tried some previous community posts suggestions to no avail: rebooting/shutdown, enable access, remove KernelExtensionManagement. Nothing works.
Already regretting my decision to migrate from Parallels.

0 Kudos
25 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Please zip up the vmware.log and mksSandbox.log files found in the virtual machine bundle and post the zip file in a reply to this thread. It may give us a better idea what’s going on as this error message has multiple causes. 

The files can be found by control-right clicking the VM name in the Virtual machine library, then selecting “Show Config File in Finder”. A Finder window will open showing all the files that make up the VM. The log files can be found in that window. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Do you use any disk cleaner/optimization products like Onyx, CCleaner, etc?

0 Kudos
AdamC2
Contributor
Contributor

@Technogeezer 
I do not have that option when I right click from within virtual machine library.

When I do right click + cmd I get the following, with a greyed out option to open latest log file.

Do I have to enable logging somehow?

Screen Shot 2023-05-30 at 4.41.33 PM.png

0 Kudos
AdamC2
Contributor
Contributor

@ColoradoMarmot 
No disk cleaner, but I was cleaning up some things manually to make room for the port of my windows VM.
Do you think I could have deleted something accidentily?
I have tried re-installing VMware Fusion.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Let’s try this the old fashioned way.

Go to the Finder and find the folder that contains your VMs. For one of the VMs that is exhibiting these issues on power up, right click on the VM and select “Show Package Contents”. That should open a Finder window that will show you the files that make up your VM. Those files should be there. 

(Edited to fix an incorrect description of the command that appears on the right click menu)

What files did you delete manually to “make room for your port of the Windows VM”? 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
AdamC2
Contributor
Contributor

@Technogeezer still no log file when I "Show Package Contents"

AdamC2_0-1685539229608.png

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Very strange that the vmware.log file isn’t created when you attempt to power up the VM. That’s usually one of the first things that’s done on power-up. 

Can you post those mksSandbox.log files, and also generate a support bundle by using Help > Collect Support Information > Quick and post that file? 

When youn uninstalled Fusion, did you perform a complete manual uninstall per https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1017838, and not simply drag the app into the trash? 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
AdamC2
Contributor
Contributor

So I did another complete re-install, following the instructions you provided (thanks for that).
I am still getting the same error (broken pipe). But now when I startup I get the following prompt about missing logs:

My only VM at this time is a fresh copy of Ubuntu 18.04 (not trying to import existing Windows VM yet)

I have also added the "Quick" report generated.

Screen Shot 2023-05-31 at 8.15.18 AM.png

0 Kudos
AdamC2
Contributor
Contributor

@Technogeezer I tried to enable logging through Virtual Machine -> Settings -> Advanced -> Troubleshooting -> Performance

When I do this, I get a different error when trying to startup my VM "Cannot perform operation when virtual machine is offline"

I still do not get logs from within the Virtual Machine "Show Package Contents", but I do get a log in ~/Library/Logs/vmware-vmfusion.log

It seems like Fusion cannot find file "config"?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Something is really amiss here. The error messages about a missing file "config" are normal.

Here's what I'd do:

• Exit Fusion.
  • Make a note of your Fusion license key. You will need it to re-install Fusion.
  • Drop into the Terminal and issue the following command:
  • ls -ald /private/var/tmp
  • If the result does not indicate that the permissions of the file are drwxrwxrwt, stop and post the result here.
  • Completely uninstall Fusion per the tech note I posted earlier. Make sure you check and delete the files in /Library (the Library folder immediately under your "Macintosh HD" drive), AND ~/Library (the "hidden" Library folder contained in your user account's home folder).
  • Completely uninstall Parallels (you still have it installed and I want to rule out any conflicts between the products).
  • Reboot the Mac.
  • Download a fresh copy of the Fusion 12 installer DMG file from VMware.
  • Install Fusion 12.
  • When the install finishes, dismount the DMG file. No need to leave it mounted.
  • Start Fusion, and open (but do not start) your VMs. 
  • If Fusion asks for permissions of any kind, grant them.
  • Attempt to power on both VMs. Let's see now if the vmware.log files are generated.

I see you are running a Cisco AnyConnect VPN. Is this Mac under the control of a corporate MDM solution? If so, have they deployed a profile that might limit what applications might do?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

And is it a real mac that's supported for this OS?  No hackintosh and/or OpenCore?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

On other thought comes to mind. Have you disabled SIP? If so, turn it back on. The Apple hypervisor seems not to like SIP disabled.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

I answered my own question. The support bundle indicates that SIP is enabled as it should be. And it looks to be a MacBook Pro 16,1 which is a 16" 2019 model - should be fine with Monterey. No signs of hackintosh/open core.

I'm wondering if something permissions-related is going on here. I'd be very interested in knowing what the permissions are for

• each directory in the full path leading to the VM bundle. In your case, that's 
  • The permissions on the VM bundle and every file in that bundle
  • The permissions on /private/tmp (use ls -ald /private/tmp)
  • The permissions on /private/tmp/vmware-* (use ls -alR /private/tmp/vmware-*)
  • The permissions on directory /private/var/run (use ls -ald /private/var/run)
  • The permissions on the sub-directory /private/var/run/vmware/* (use ls -alR /private/var/run/vmware in the terminal)

Also, rewinding back the original post. You stated that there was a Linux virtual machine that worked but now doesn't.  You seem to indicate that it stopped working after you tried to import your Windows 10 VM.

Can you remember exactly what you did to import the Windows 10 VM? It is very, very strange that something as simple as a virtual machine import would break Fusion.

I've also answered another question by looking through the logs. You are running a machine that has configuration profiles set via a MDM (mobile device management) solution. The profiles could be blocking capabilities that Fusion needs to run properly - in which case you're going to have to talk to your company about that. 

Can you check in System Preferences> Privacy & Security and see if Fusion has been granted access to 

• Screen Recording,
  • Accessibility,
  • Automation (the VMware Fusion Applications Menu wants System Events)
  • Microphone
  • Camera
  • Files and Folders (Fusion may want access to removable volumes if VMs are stored there). 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
AdamC2
Contributor
Contributor

@Technogeezer Im just in the process of re-installing Fusion.
You mentioned installing Fusion 12, where I have been using Fusion 13. Not sure if that matters, or if my license can be used for an older version?

I did check the permisions on /private/var/tmp and it looks correct:

drwxrwxrwt  3 root  wheel    96B May 31 14:01 /private/var/tmp/

I will report back the permissions on the other folders once installed.

And yes this is a 2019 Macbook pro, managed through my work. 
I should generally have "sudo" access to things, but not sure to what extent.

0 Kudos
AdamC2
Contributor
Contributor

@Technogeezer 

For System Preferences -> Privacy & Security:

- Screen Recording: VMware not showing up as a possible option

Accessibility: VMware Fusion enabled

Automation: VMware Fusion Applications Menu enabled

- Microphone: no VMWare option 

Camera: no VMWare option

Files and Folders: Vmware Fusion Applications Menu has full disk access

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

You'll need to drag/drop Fusion to the screen recording section and enable it.  That could be the issue.

It's possible that's been disabled if you have a managed machine and it's blocked/controlled in the MDM policy.  Ditto on being able to put the required stuff in /Library/LaunchXX

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Sometimes the MDM profiles can take a while to take effect - so Fusion may have installed and run, then the MDM kicked in and disabled required permissions/access.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@AdamC2 Sorry about the Fusion 12 references - I meant Fusion 13. (I was answering a question about Fusion 12 and guess I have that version still on the brain).

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
AdamC2
Contributor
Contributor

@Technogeezer No problem at all.
So, still no luck on getting it working. I uploaded another set of logs from:

~/Library/Logs/VMWare 

~/Library/Logs/VMWare Fusion

after trying to open my windows VM.
It still appears to be an issue with opening a pipe. 

The second log file (vmware-vmfusion) shows something with usbarb (not sure what that is, or if its important)?

I gave access (I think) in all the right spots. 
Might have to throw in the towel.

0 Kudos