VMware Communities
tycooko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It doesn't seem like I'm the owner of my Windows installation (TrustedInstaller is)

Hello,
On a new Windows 10 installation, "TrustedInstaller" seems the owner of all the folders of the C drive and that affects a lot of programs (programs that should automatically generate and save files into the C drive, crash), along with the fact that I can't save new documents in said drive.
I can move or delete things there if I do it with administrative privileges.
I've tried several methods to have "Full control" or become the owner of the drive, which only resulted in the Start button and the search bar not being clickable anymore.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SvenGus
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It looks like this is normal; see, for example, here:

https://www.troubleshootingcentral.com/how-to-fix-you-require-permission-from-trustedinstaller-on-wi...

But, as you say below, the behaviors described are indeed quite strange: maybe try to reinstall Windows 10 without the Easy Install option (even if this shouldn’t really matter)...?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@tycooko 

MacOS version?

Fusion version?

Windows 10 version?

How did you actually install Windows in the VM?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
tycooko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry...you're right!

I'm on macOS Big Sur 11.1, I'm using the free version of VMware Fusion, player version 12.1.0 (17195230) and I've just downloaded the Windows version tha's on Microsoft's website: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO . I've selected "Windows 10", "English", "64-bit Download".

Thanks for your help.

Oh, for the installation method: Install from disc or image --> I leave the default options with "Use Easy Install" selected (I don't type in a password or a product key) and choose "Windows 10 Home" from the drop-down menu --> the next screen doesn't really count (the issue presents itself with both "More Seamless" and "More Isolated") --> Finish.

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It looks like this is normal; see, for example, here:

https://www.troubleshootingcentral.com/how-to-fix-you-require-permission-from-trustedinstaller-on-wi...

But, as you say below, the behaviors described are indeed quite strange: maybe try to reinstall Windows 10 without the Easy Install option (even if this shouldn’t really matter)...?

0 Kudos
tycooko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The existence of something called "TrustedInstaller" is normal; the behavior I'm seeing isn't (well, I really hope so, at least).
Also: I've tried those methods to change ownership and, as said, they've made parts of the system break irreparably.

If I try the first method in your article, "1. Use File Explorer & Change Permissions to Gain Ownership.", at the step where I change the ownership of the C drive with my user, I receive 7 errors, 3 of which read "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.", pointing at the following elements:
1) C:\swapfile.sys
2) C:\DumpStack.log.tmp
3) C:\pagefile.sys
4 other errors read "Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied." and they point at the following:
1) C:\Windows\System32\drivers\wd
2) C:\Program Files\Windows Defender
3) C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Defender
4) C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform
At the step where I check “replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object”, I receive 19 error messages, most of which (99%) read "Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied.", for instance applying to C:\bootmgr .
After this, the start menu, the search bar, the recycle bin and all elements in the bottom bar (Cortana, the calendar...even the notification manager) are unusable. They just don't do anything when I click on them.

The second method in the article fails instantly: "The current logged on user does not have ownership privileges on the file (or folder) "C:\"."

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@tycooko 

This doesn’t sound like anything to do with Fusion, more a question for a Microsoft user community than a VMware one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
tycooko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unlikely. I've installed it again unchecking "Easy install" and I'm now able to make those changes without breaking anything. Also, it has "properly" logged me into my Microsoft account and it has uploaded my old desktop background, my profile photo and, in general, the design I chose when I had a Window machine (the color of the tabs and the text, etc.), which it doesn't when I install with "Easy Install" on.
There's something wrong with Easy Install.

0 Kudos