VMware Communities
sockmonkey72
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Issues under OSX 10.12 Sierra when quitting VMWare Fusion

When quitting VMWare Fusion (after closing all VMs), my external drives are forcibly ejected most of the time (with an error message about improperly disconnecting the hardware from the OS).

A new behavior in OSX 10.12.5 is that my laptop mouse and keyboard become unresponsive when quitting VMWare (again, many times, not always). Plugging in an external keyboard "unkills" the input devices.

All of this happens outside of VMWare itself: the app is affecting the rest of my system.

I've seen the external drive ejection problem reported elsewhere, the mouse/keyboard issue is new to me.

Anyway, does anyone have similar experiences or solutions to either of these extremely frustrating issues?

Thanks, Jeremy

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mhampto
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

Are any of the virtual machines using a USB resource?  Does this occur when just opening and closing the application?

Matt

0 Kudos
sockmonkey72
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Matt,

No, they aren't. I just had the frozen keyboard/mouse issue again. In fact, all VMs were long-closed, I was just quitting VMware.app.

Thanks, Jerem

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Are you on the latest release?  Versions earlier than 8.5 have issues with Sierra.

0 Kudos
sockmonkey72
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have version 8.5.8

Thanks, Jeremy

0 Kudos
mhampto
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Has Fusion been updated along with the OS over several iterations?  May want to reinstall the latest version to remove any possible issues with the installed version.

0 Kudos