VMware Communities
williamstan321
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Issue with increasing driver sizes

Dear all

I want to increase the size of C driver and I have made the adjustment accordingly (Pic A, B)

However, despite I switched off the entire VMware, the driver still doesn't reflect the changes (Pic C)

May I know how to go about fixing it?

thank all

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

@williamstan321 wrote:

Hi dempson 

Thanks for the advice

I followed your advice, and I managed to land to this page. 

Wonder why I cant choose to extend the volume 

It’s because the recovery partition is sitting between the end of the C drive partitition and the new space made available on the disk. Expanding a partition with Disk Management requires that free space sits right after the partition you want to expand. Nothing to do with Fusion, it’s how Windows behaves  

One way around this is to delete the recovery partition in Disk Management.  You can then expand the C drive. You don’t need the recovery partition for normal operation, but if you delete the recovery partition you should have a Windows installer ISO handy to boot from in case you need to perform any recovery/repair operation. You may also wish to leave about 1GB of space free at the end of the disk so you can rebuild the recovery partition (search the web for how to do this).

The other way around this is to use a third party partition management utility to move the recovery partition to the end of the disk and expand the C drive. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Alien26790
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi William, looks like you are increasing you are increasing your VM RAM size not the C: drive size.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Increasing the guest OS disk space is a two step procedure.
The first step is to increase the virtual disk's size, and in second step is to resize the partition within the guest OS.

André

Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There are a couple of "gotchas" if you want to do this on Windows.

The usual advice is to use Disk Management from within the VM and resize the C: drive. The recovery partition may be blocking this, because on a "normal" installation of Windows, the recovery partition resides between the C: drive and the empty space you get after resizing the virtual disk. The resizing operation requires the space that you want to add to the C: drive to be adjacent to the drive.

To get around this, do one of the following:

• Delete the recovery partition in Disk Management. It really isn't needed. You can re-create the recovery partition if you want. If you decide not to re-create it, have a bootable Windows ISO installer handy to perform any repairs in the future that might need the recovery environment.
  • Use a third party partitioning utility (or, if you're on an Intel Mac, boot the Gparted Live utility) to move the recovery partition to the end of the newly expanded virtual disk.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Alfista_PS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

when you change (extend, reducing isn't possible) the disk size for the VM, then you will not see it immediacy in the VM. You need to goto  the disk management in Windows or in any disk tools in the running VM and there you need to extend the size of the existing partition or create a new partition as you need. And then you will see the add amount capacity of the disk in the running system.

Alfista
----------------------
Audio-Video Accessories
Selling and Integration of Audio & Video Accessories and Technology
If my answer has resolved your problem please mark as RESOLVED or if it has only was a good help then give me the KUDOS. Thanks.
0 Kudos
williamstan321
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear all

Thanks for the info

I managed to adjust it through other way, but still it doesnt quite work despite it shows the capacity has been increased to 80G under General page, the hard disk still showing 20G

Wonder what else I need to make the changes to make it happen?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As noted above, increasing the disk size in Fusion increases the size of the disk as seen by the VM, does not increase the size of the C drive partition. 

You missed a step. Open Disk Management in the VM and post what you see there. You should find that the disk containing the C drive is bigger. I would bet that you didn’t   increase  the size of the C drive partition to use the new space you gave to the VM. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Alfista_PS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You have done the first step, you have extended the HW disk size, but now you need to extend the C:\ partition size in the Windows system. You need go to the Disk Manager in System Settings - Administration tools or oner the right mouse button over the Win Icon (on the left side on the toolbar) and ether choose the Disk Manager.

Then you will see that the disk is bigger as the used partitions sizes and you can extend the main C:\ partition (maybe you will need to move the last system small partition to do it).

Alfista
----------------------
Audio-Video Accessories
If my answer has resolved your problem please mark as RESOLVED or if it has only was a good help then give me the KUDOS. Thanks.
0 Kudos
williamstan321
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

May I know which one is the disk management icon?

0 Kudos
williamstan321
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is it this one? this is my system 

0 Kudos
williamstan321
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

when I click partition icon under OS Base system - data.  this appears

0 Kudos
dempson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You are on the wrong track - Mac System Preferences (or System Settings) is not going to help.

You need to boot into the Windows virtual machine, then run "Disk Management" to adjust the partition sizes. I normally run this (on real Windows PCs but a VM should be the same) by clicking on the Start menu then typing Disk Management - my PC suggests a control panel to adjust partition sizes, but choosing that actually runs the Disk Management utility.

Once in Disk Management you can see how the partitions are laid out within the virtual drive. Your goal is to extend the C: partition, but doing that might be complicated if there is a Recovery Partition to the right of C:

0 Kudos
williamstan321
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi dempson 

Thanks for the advice

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Alfista_PS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi @williamstan321,

click with right mouse button over the C system partition and there you have the possibility to extend the partition. It should work directly. 

Alfista
----------------------
Audio-Video Accessories
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

@williamstan321 wrote:

Hi dempson 

Thanks for the advice

It’s because the recovery partition is sitting between the end of the C drive partitition and the new space made available on the disk. Expanding a partition with Disk Management requires that free space sits right after the partition you want to expand. Nothing to do with Fusion, it’s how Windows behaves  

One way around this is to delete the recovery partition in Disk Management.  You can then expand the C drive. You don’t need the recovery partition for normal operation, but if you delete the recovery partition you should have a Windows installer ISO handy to boot from in case you need to perform any recovery/repair operation. You may also wish to leave about 1GB of space free at the end of the disk so you can rebuild the recovery partition (search the web for how to do this).

The other way around this is to use a third party partition management utility to move the recovery partition to the end of the disk and expand the C drive. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
williamstan321
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

problem solved

Thanks all for the advice

0 Kudos
Alfista_PS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Congratulations 👍

Dont forget to mark this as solved and give kudos for help.

Alfista
----------------------
Audio-Video Accessories
0 Kudos