VMware Communities
JFHA
Contributor
Contributor

Is there such a thing as Workstation Player for Mac?

Hello,

I'm looking for an App for my Mac for Virtual Machines, but I don't have money to buy Fusion, so is there something like VMWare Workstation Player for Mac?

I need it for Personal use, I have already tried VirtualBox, but it doesn't let me install Mac OS on Clients.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Not to my knowledge.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Nope.

Just a side note - OSX can only be virtualized on real apple hardware (if you're trying to put it on PC's).  Parallels and Fusion are the only supported options for that.

0 Kudos
JFHA
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using a Mac OS X High Sierra on a New Mac Pro Hardware, but it won't let me install a Mac OS X in a Virtual Machine.

I'm so frustrated with Apple these days, first a friend buys an iPhone X, tries to connect it to his iMac and iTunes won't let it because the Mac OS in it is too old, after an upgrade, when the iPhone is connected it won't show in iTunes, now this.

I don't understand how Apple got to be so popular.

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

Well, there is Parallels Desktop Lite, available on the Mac App Store, which lets you create macOS and Linux VMs for free (and Windows VMs with an in-app purchase): IIRC, it uses the Apple hypervisor; sadly, there is still no similar “VMware Fusion Lite“ application, which would be the Mac version of VMware Workstation Player...

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

... And here is an article:

How to Make Linux and macOS Virtual Machines for Free with Parallels Lite

... which explains, among other things, how to create a macOS VM: always interesting, even if it is for a competing product.

0 Kudos