VMware Communities
magianusa
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a REAL fix for the eject key for the optical drive?

I got a Mac Pro and bought the VMware Fusion from amazon.com. I use the CD to install

the VMware Fusion, and went and downloaded the latest version of Fusion 1.1 from VMware

home. Installation went smoothly on 12/13/2007. I had no problem starting the VMware

Fusion and was able to run the Internet Explorer and download software from Microsoft

and installing them without any hassel. I then tried to use the optical drive and first noticed

that I was able to eject using a Mac bluetooth keyboard, however, I was not able to close

the CD carrier after hitting the eject key a second time. I manually forced the optical drive

to close, then I noticed that it will only work if I hit the key combination "option & eject" together.

Although, I don't have a second optical drive, the use of the instructed command to operate

a second optical drive is an acceptable alternative. Then late last night, I noticed that neither

command, that is, the "eject" key or the "option & eject" keys will NOT work if the VMware is

active. The combination "option & eject" keys will operate the optical drive only when

the VMware is asleep. Now the Mac Pro will only recognize the "option & eject"

keys even when VMware is NOT running at all.

I would like to know if anyone has seen this problem, if so, if anyone has a

work around. My environment is a Mac Pro that came with Leopard. I added the

Vista Ultimate-64. Both keyboard and mouse are bluetooth. Set aside 2G RAM for the Fusion

to run Vista, and 128G of disk space. Test software using VMware Fusion included

Office 2007 Word and Access. Internet Explorer. All these Vista applications ran

without any problem so far. And didn't see any crashes either. Thanks in advance.

Roger Kiang

P/S, Yes, I read the advertisement on release 1.1 notes about how the eject key is

fixed. I also have checked for other online discussions and didn't see anyone

is talking about the non-working eject key recently.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
InflatableMouse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We basically have the same configuration (mac pro, leopard, vista ultimate 64). I never had the issue you described so maybe it has to do with the bluetooth keyboard?

If you have one available you might want to try a USB keyboard.

Also note that when the VM has your physical DVD drive attached you can't use it in OSX and the (option)-eject keys won't work on the drive. I suggest that when you are not using the drive in Vista you disconnect it from the Vm so you can use it in OSX. The device won't be uninstalled in Vista, it will be like there is no disc in the drive.

PS. You might want to remove your email address from your post unless you like to collect spam.

0 Kudos
tj_d
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issue you mentioned with the optical drive, also with a Mac Pro that came with Leopard. I wasn't able to get the eject button to work while Fusion was running until I upgraded to 1.1. With that upgrade I am able to get the drive to open with the keyboard's eject button, but I'm not able to close the drive with the eject button until I close out of Fusion altogether. I'm currently using a wired keyboard, so you're not experiencing a Bluetooth issue. I think it's just a bug with the software, no?

0 Kudos