VMware Communities
doomm6
Contributor
Contributor

Is the MAC address of the guest the same that the host's for another machine in the same wlan?

Hi, 

I am attempting to perform a MAC spoofing attack.

I am running a Kali Linux virtual machine (VMWare) in MacOS with bridged networking option.

MacOS (victim) communicates with another machine (machine B) in the same wlan, and I want Kali Linux to be the man in the middle. However, even-though I can spoof the MAC forwarding table of the victim, machine B associates the same MAC address for both IP addresses of the victim and the attacker.

Do all machines in the same wlan see the VM's MAC address equal to the host because VMWare translates the virtual MAC address to the host's one?

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Bridged connection or NAT connection?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
doomm6
Contributor
Contributor

Bridged connection! I want Kali Linux (attacker) to be in the physical network as a separated machine from the others machines standpoint.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

AFAIK, the physical network sees a single MAC address for the host and VM's.  That's why a lot of corporate network gear has issues with bridged networking (only will issue one IP per MAC).

doomm6
Contributor
Contributor

Oh, that's what I had imagined. Do you know if I can fix this problem using a network wireless USB adapter ?

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

That should work, just pass it through to the guest and have it manage that connection.

0 Kudos