VMware Communities
jenmagjen
Contributor
Contributor

Is it safe to upgrade to Monterey and still be able to use Fusion 12.2.0 with win10 guest?

Heading says it all. I'm running Fusion 12.2.0 on Big Sur at the moment, on a MacBook Pro 2019.

The Fusion runs Windows 10, for the use of Visual Studio, which unfortunately cannot be run at Mac OS.

I cannot find any information about Fusion 12 compatibility with Monterey. Does that mean it is most safe to stick to Big Sur for some more time?

19 Replies
swalker_iii
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same situation. I was not able to find anything other than this post. It looks like macOS Monterey is supported with 12.2. I would suggest having a recent Time Machine backup before you proceed with the Monterey upgrade. 

Fusion 12.2 Now Available - VMware Fusion Blog

0 Kudos
albatros99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fusion 12.2.0 works fine on osx monterey 12.0.1, also all virtual machines that i have installed

For example:

- windows 7 32 bit
- windows 10 64 bit

- Windows 11 64 bit

- and also big sur and monterey under Fusion (only for tests and new updates/programs)

I don't have a m1-processor, only a imac pro from 2017 with many Ram and diskspaces!

Economan1
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 12.2.0 was working fine on my MacBook Pro 2019 running Monterey 12.0.1, but when I transferred to the new M1 MacBook Pro running 12.0.1 the virtual machine will no longer launch Mojave. I get the following error message: "Transport (VMDB) error-14: Pipe connection has been broken"

0 Kudos
dempson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@Economan1 wrote:

Fusion 12.2.0 was working fine on my MacBook Pro 2019 running Monterey 12.0.1, but when I transferred to the new M1 MacBook Pro running 12.0.1 the virtual machine will no longer launch Mojave. I get the following error message: "Transport (VMDB) error-14: Pipe connection has been broken"

VMware Fusion cannot and never will be able to run Intel-based virtual machines on a Mac with an Apple Silicon processor (M1 or later). This affects all Intel Windows guests, all Intel Linux guests, and all macOS 10.15 Catalina or earlier guests (which are Intel-only).

If you need to run those OS versions in a virtual machine, the host must be a Mac with an Intel processor (such as your 2019 MacBook Pro).

Switching to Parallels Desktop or VirtualBox won't help: neither of them can virtualise an Intel operating system on an Apple Silicon (ARM) processor. Virtualisation requires the same processor architecture for the host and guest.

You would need an emulator to run Intel operating systems on an Apple Silicon Mac.

Furthermore, Fusion 12.2.0 or earlier doesn't work at all on an Apple Silicon Mac. A future update (prerelease already available) will allow it to run with ARM-based guests: initially Linux only, might eventually support macOS guests (which must be macOS 11 Big Sur or later as older versions are Intel-only), unknown whether ARM versions of Windows will ever be supported (Microsoft says no at present, therefore VMware won't support it).

Because of this, I'm keeping my 2019 16-inch MacBook Pro (Intel) for running virtual machines, and have no timeline on when it would be worth installing VMware Fusion on my 2021 MacBook Pro (M1 Pro) as I currently have no need to run ARM Linux VMs. I'm most interested in being able to virtualise Apple Silicon versions of macOS, which might be some time away. (Parallels can already do this, which gives me hope that VMware will get there too.)

ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Two thoughts from the thread.

First, time machine is unreliable for backing up virtual machines.  *strongly* recommend using a different method.

Second, for M1 support, check here: FusionPreview

0 Kudos
jenmagjen
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks to all of you for quick and useful replies! 🙂

Sounds like the transfer from Big Sur to Monterey is safe. This makes sense, as the changes from Big Sur to Monterey are not that big. When Big Sur came, they changed a lot of deep-down-structure - and I unfortunately updated my Mac to soon. Lost about a week of work... I learned my lesson. 🙂

0 Kudos
Ahmed_Farag
Contributor
Contributor

I just want to ask if you tried to run ubuntu 20 on VM fusion on big sir and after updating to Monterey was it still working?

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

I would hold off on Monterey.  It's definitely not fully baked - memory leaks and USB issues.  Wait for dot-one or dot-two if you can.

0 Kudos
soren0
Contributor
Contributor

I’m getting the same error, "Transport (VMDB) error-14: Pipe connection has been broken" when launching a VM on Monterey and fusion 12.2.  I’m on an Intel Mac. 

I’ve googled it and reinstalled fusion and it doesn’t seem to help. 

Has anyone figured out what could be causing it?

jsbattig
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm having multiple issues with Fusion 12.2 so that I had to rollback twice already trying to move forward from 12.1.2 so I think I'm staying on BigSur until VMWare releases a version of Fusion that makes my use cases run in an acceptable fashion or until someone confirms 12.1.2 works on Monterey.

See my post for details: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Discussions/Fusion-12-2-breaks-otherwise-properly-wo...

0 Kudos
donw35
Contributor
Contributor

Delete

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
donw35
Contributor
Contributor

Delete

0 Kudos
Chris_-G
Contributor
Contributor

It seems that Fusion 12.2.1 may not be fully compatible with a Monterey (12.1) host. After upgrading my host system from Mojave (10.14) to Monterey and Fusion from 11.5.7 to 12.2.1, VMs that worked fine (both OSX & Windows guests) under Mojave/11.5.7 now regularly freeze after a minute or two giving a "The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system. Power off or reset the virtual machine" error message.

Downgrading both Fusion and the VMs to 12.1.2 (which seems to run fine on Monterey) has solved this for me

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Have you verified that Fusion has been allowed both Screen Recording and Accessibility in the macOS Security & Privacy preferences?

Have you tried fully uninstalling Fusion per https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1017838, then reinstalling it?

Were those virtual machines shut down or suspended before upgrading Fusion?

Also, what hardware are you running macOS on? I've successfully run Fusion 12.2.1 on my Mac mini 2014 with Monterey with both old macOS Lion and RHEL 8 based VMs. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
Chris_-G
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion was already allowed accessibility in system preferences, but not originally screen recording, which I have now enabled.

The virtual machines were shut down, not suspended prior to upgrading.

I have manually uninstalled Fusion as per the knowledge base article, downloaded fresh copy of 12.2.1 & reinstalled it.

The "CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system" problem is still persisting with my OSX 10.6.8 (server) guest (and occurs whether or not I accept the option to upgrade the VM in 12.2.1). (Oddly, the problem now seems to have disappeared with the Windows 11 guest.)

The hardware is a mid 2015 Retina MBP, 2.2GHz quad core i7, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB graphics, running Mac OS 12.1

Downgrading to 12.1.2 has again fixed the problems, so for now, I'll be staying with that

0 Kudos
DeepakFL
Contributor
Contributor

<Hi, Does anyone know when you upgrade from Big Sur to Monterey, do you have to do anything special to VMWare?  If I upgrade to Monterey, will my VMWare Fusion 12.2.1 work as-is or will I have to reinstall the VM?  Thanks in advance for your reply!

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

I've done this with no ill effects. A macOS upgrade does nothing to your virtual machines. And Fusion survived without a hitch.

Before any upgrade I would cleanly shut down all of your VMs (do NOT suspend them), quit VMware Fusion, and make a copy of your VMs for safe keeping via the Finder to an external USB disk. Do not depend on a Time Machine backup of your virtual machines.

Now if you're concerned about the macOS upgrade, quit Fusion and uninstall it by dragging the application to the trash and then emptying the trash. Reinstall Fusion after the macOS upgrade.

Alternatively if you're *really* concerned, manually uninstall Fusion and all associated support files before upgrade using info from https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1017838 (make sure you have a copy of your Fusion license key before doing this, though). Reinstall after macOS upgrade. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
Barbw1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi i have stupidly it seems only suspended my window.. and now after accepting the offer to upgrade VM to 12.2.1 it wont reopen.. there was a helpful suggestion about using the option key on the menu and changing it to power off, but as the menus are nearly all greyed out.. I cant do anything.. any more suggestions please?

0 Kudos
issacarya
Contributor
Contributor

Hold Option key and go to (VIRTUAL MACHINE) in the menu bar
There is a option to reset or Shutdown windows

0 Kudos