VMware Communities
HughZane
Contributor
Contributor

Is it possible to watch live tv using a Ceton Infinitv 6 ETH and Windows 8.1 Virtual Machine ?

Greetings,

I am trying to set up a HTPC on my home network which is mostly Apple desktop and laptop Macs which all have VMWare Fusion.  There is a Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH with a CableCard on the network that is connected to my Time Warner cable service.  This allows me to legally use up to 6 TV tuners simultaneously on my 100GB/s subnet.  Currently I have a dedicated non-Mac HTPC running Windows 7 and Windows Media Center that works well, albeit slowly, using 3 of these tuners.  So, the live tv setup works with a dedicated pc.  I would like to use one of my Macs with VMWare Fusion running a Windows 8.1 Virtual Machine to utilize the 3 other tuners.  However, upon running the Digital Cable Advisor application, I get the following errors: 

Your graphics card or driver doesn't support content protection.

Windows Media Center - Your display is running at a very high resolution that may cause performance problems with Windows Media Center.  Open the Display Settings Control Panel, then reduce the screen resolution for the primary monitor.

I've tried lowering the resolution to 1080p, and the various graphics virtual machine settings, to no avail.  The key part is that the InfiniTV is never recognized by Windows Media Center.  I'm guessing that is either because of the graphics or network device being set wrong in VMWare Tools, or due to piracy concerns.  My backup plan is to use a dedicated pc, or BootCamp, but I was hoping someone might have been able to make live tv work with Fusion.  Any suggestions ?

I am using:

• Hardware - Late 2013 Mac Pro (shiny black cylinder) with 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Xeon E5, 12 GB RAM, AMD FirePro D300 Graphics Card
  • Installed OS - OSX Yosemite 10.10.2
  • VMWare Fusion Version 7.1.1
  • Virtual Machine - Windows Pro 8.1 x64 with optional Windows Media Center Pack
  • Monitor - Sony 4k TV connected by HDMI
0 Kudos
0 Replies