VMware Communities
cookieme
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is it possible to use OS X printer presets with "share mac printers with windows"?

When the VM option "Share Mac Printers with Windows" is checked, my Mac installed printer is added to Windows and printing works fine.

However, on OS X I have created two printing presets: one of tray 2 and one for tray 3. When I print a document from an OS X app I select

one of those presets from the printing dialogue preset dropdown.

In my Windows 7 VM, I have tried to find a way to configure the thinprint printer to have two presets, but I can't find an option to do this.

I know that if the printer had been installed in the traditional way, e.g. printer driver in Windows that I would have this level of control.

Is there some way to achieve this with the "share mac printers with windows" option or should I uncheck this option and install the printer directly in Windows?

Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi cookieme,

The Printer Sharing feature installs a 'proxy' driver of sorts that passes on the print job to the queue on the host (Mac).

As such, it wouldn't be able to do some of the more printer-specific functions, including tray and setting presets.

You can either use the Mac's built-in printer sharing feature (may or may not work how you're looking for, I haven't tested personally), or install it 'manually' in Windows like you would on a physical PC.

If the printer has network capabilities, I'd install it that way as a matter of preference. 

If it's USB, I'd try the Mac's (not Fusion's) 'built-in' printer sharing so you don't have to keep moving the USB between Mac and Windows whenever you want to print from one and the printer is connected to the other.

Hope that helps, let us know which one works best for you 😃

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos