VMware Communities
Scotcha
Contributor
Contributor

Is it possible to print FROM osx TO printer on my winXP VM? "Reverse - Share?"

I'm somewhat new to MAC. I have an old HP 820Cse DeskJet Printer that I've used for years. I have scoured the net looking for OS-X drivers for it but can't find any...neither HP, Apple, nor 3rd party...except I did try this (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pnm2ppa/) ghostscript filter without any luck.

I have an XP virtual machine installed under Fusion 3.0. By using a "USB to Parallel" adapter cable, I'm able to print to this printer from the XP virtual machine. My problem is that since there are no osx drivers available, I can't print to it from the MAC computer. Does anyone know if it would be possible to "reverse-share" the printer by launching the virtual machine when I need to print and then printing from an osx app to the USB printer on my VM?

Why?

I have two other printers I can print to, but I prefer to print most draft quality stuff (emails, web pages, & other junk) using this ancient workhorse because the ink for it is dirt cheap compared to other printers. (Ever wonder why manufactures will essentially give away a printer with the purchase of new computer??? Yes, they want you coming back for expensive ink like a junkie coming back to his dealer for some junk!)

Anyhow I wouldn't mind having the the VM sitting idle in the background or even waiting 10 seconds or so for it to resume so I could print to it. Most of the time however, it would not be practical stop, and open the my print job in a parallel (pardon the pun) application on the VM side.

Any thoughts or insight on printing to this old printer would be appreciated. Thanks!

0 Kudos
0 Replies