VMware Communities
iyusaf
Contributor
Contributor

Is it possible to manually specify a Bootcamp partition?

I have a MacBook Pro with Bootcamp v1.2. The Bootcamp partition is not automatically detected, so I would like to manually specify it. Is it possible to manually specify a Bootcamp partition for use as a VM?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WIshmastR
Contributor
Contributor

I've got exactly the same problem.

After a bootcamp partition deletion, a bootcamp 1.4 installation and a new bootcamp partition installation Fusion wasn't able to boot this partition anymore (I had an error message about something not found).

I deleted the bootcamp entry in Fusion and I would like to add it again in order to solve this issue. When creation a new VM I'm only able to specify a virtual hard drive stored in a file.

Any idea ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
vastslug
Contributor
Contributor

Same here... Same result on 3 different machines. 2 XP bootcamp and 1 vista.

Come on Mr VMware.... Sort it. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
mokotoe21
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There was an issue like this reported before:

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=671769&#671769

I wonder if you're running into it.

0 Kudos
rachel
Contributor
Contributor

What about when the so-called bootcamp partition is actually a linux (ubuntu) install? Its partition type presumably needs to remain what it is in order to boot linux. Bootcamp itself wasn't used to create the partition as for a linux/osx dual-boot that's not necessary.

Why can't we just point a vm's disk at a real partition node (eg: /dev/disk0s3) like we can on linux-as-host versions of vmware? (And would it be worth my while trying to hack together a .vmdk file myself to do this? I'm thinking I could possibly make a template for one in my vmware server for linux install.)

0 Kudos