VMware Communities
subi09
Contributor
Contributor

Is it possible to install gdb in vmware-MN OS

Is it possible to install gdb in vmware-MN OS?if not possible then how to debug a code in vmware platform.Kindly reply

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AKostur
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What's a "vmware-MN OS" ?   And the answer is: probably.  A phrase I like to use: treat the VM as if it were a real physical machine.  Could you install gdb on the OS if it were installed on a physical box?  Then unless there are some picky hardware dependancies that the virtual hardware cannot do, it should work no differently in a VM vs. on a physical box.

0 Kudos
subi09
Contributor
Contributor

You meant to ssh to that server and do debugging ?

0 Kudos
AKostur
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You didn't answer the question "what is a 'vmware-MN OS'?".  And if one would be able to ssh into it on a physical machine, there should be no difference doing it on a virtual machine.

0 Kudos
subi09
Contributor
Contributor

Both are the same.Actually in my project we had given naming convention like that.could you pls provide any link to download  gdb package for Vmware.

0 Kudos
AKostur
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I can't possibly answer your question as it makes no sense.  One does not download a "gdb package for Vmware".  Not unless you actually work for VMware and are somehow attempting to debug the hypervisor.

You download gdb however one would normally download gdb for whatever operating system you're running (which you still have not answered).

0 Kudos