VMware Communities
mvmcneil
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is it possible to disable the "Take Snapshot" shortcut?

I would like to remove or disable the Cmd-T shortcut for the "Take Snapshot" function of Fusion. Is this possible? I have accidentally taken snapshots of my vm several times while switching back and for the between WinXP and OSX. Thanks for any advice.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In addition to the suggestions about editing the .vmx file, you could choose a different shortcut that's harder to trigger (e.g. Cmd-Shift-Option-Ctrl-T). Go to System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts, then press the "+" button. Select VMware Fusion as the app, "Take Snapshot" as the menu title, and whatever key combination you want (it doesn't let you choose no shortcut at all). You will have to restart Fusion before this takes effect.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello,

I don't work with fusion but I know you can disable snapshots in the VM's vmx file by adding the following to it

snapshot.disabled

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
mvmcneil
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks but I am not to familiar with editing the vmx file. Is there someplace I can read up on where I should place this switch? I don't want to mess up my VM as I am using it heavily right now. Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would like to remove or disable the Cmd-T shortcut for the "Take Snapshot" function of Fusion. Is this possible? I have accidentally taken snapshots of my vm several times while switching back and for the between WinXP and OSX. Thanks for any advice.

You need to add the following to the target Virtual Machine's .vmx configuration file.

snapshot.disabled = "TRUE"

By default Virtual Machines are created in the "~/Documents/Virtual Machines" folder.

~ Is your Home Folder

They are placed in a Folder (Bundle Package) with an extension of ".vmwarevm" which by default the extension is not visible in Finder.

Example: "~/Documents/Virtual Machines/Windows XP SP2.vmwarevm" would in Finder just look like an icon named "Windows XP SP2"

You can view the Package Contents of the "Windows XP SP2.vmwarevm" folder by Ctrl+Click (or right-click) the "Windows XP SP2" icon and select Show Package Contents.

You would Ctrl+Click (or right-click) on the "Windows XP SP2.vmx" file and select Open With > Other... then in the Choose Applications dialog box choose TextEdit.

Note: This should be done with the target Virtual Machine shutdown and closed and not suspended.

Also have a look at the following documents as they are good reading: and .

admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In addition to the suggestions about editing the .vmx file, you could choose a different shortcut that's harder to trigger (e.g. Cmd-Shift-Option-Ctrl-T). Go to System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts, then press the "+" button. Select VMware Fusion as the app, "Take Snapshot" as the menu title, and whatever key combination you want (it doesn't let you choose no shortcut at all). You will have to restart Fusion before this takes effect.

0 Kudos
mvmcneil
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for all the help. I think I will add the shortcut as per etung's suggestion. I don't know why I didn't think about that option before. It limits my tinkering with the vmx file until I can better understand it. Once again thanks for all the input. This is a great forum!

0 Kudos
bgabriel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

snapshot.disabled = "TRUE" works in VMWare Fusion 1.x, but does not seem to work in 2.x? I've verified what I've typed. Does it matter where in the .vmx file this entry reside?

suspend.disabled = "TRUE" works in both versions, which makes me wonder why the snapshot.disabled = "TRUE" does not in 2.x.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, the .vmx file is unordered (perhaps with the exception of .encoding, which I would expect to need to come first)

In general, editing the .vmx file is unsupported, undocumented, and what works is may change between versions - officially, only things you can do through the UI are supported. I haven't yet gotten a chance to check if snapshot.disabled has been renamed to something else or if it's just gone.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

snapshot.disabled = "TRUE" works in VMWare Fusion 1.x, but does not seem to work in 2.x? I've verified what I've typed. Does it matter where in the .vmx file this entry reside?

suspend.disabled = "TRUE" works in both versions, which makes me wonder why the snapshot.disabled = "TRUE" does not in 2.x.

There is an extremely serious bug in Fusion 2.0 (116369) that enables a Snapshot to be taken on a Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine when Snapshots are supposed to be disabled on the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine and frankly it is nothing short of negligence that this has been allowed to persist without putting out a patch although it supposed to have been fixed in the unofficial release found in this should have been addressed earlier muchness an official release and or patch should have been provided immediately upon discovering this potentially fatal flaw.

0 Kudos