VMware Communities
parallelsORfusi
Contributor
Contributor

Is anyone satisfied with Fusion 5 and their Retina screen

Bought a 15" MBPro Retina and Fusion 5 last autumn and I've never been happy with the rendering in Fusion 5.

Does it work for you and what settings do you have?

- Mac is OS X 10.8.4, running Fusion 5.0.3 and Win7 64 Bit.

- Mac display settings are "Best For Retina Display"

- Fusion use is "single window"

Fusion is horrible and very pixelated.

If I change the fusion Display setting to "Use full resolution for retina display" the pixelation goes but everything is so small to be useless.

I can't find a better setting.

Have you got it working?

All I want is Fusion to have the same clarity and pixel usage as I get in OSx.

Will Fusion 6 fix this or is Fusion 6 merely a tarting up to better handle Win8?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
zhus
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

For Windows 7 in Fusion 5, a workaround for your reference.

1. After enabling "Use full resolution for retina display", open Control Panel in Win7.

2. Select Control Panel -> Appearance and Personalization -> Display.

3. Select Larger - 150%, or select "Set custom text size(DPI)" to set a customized value, say 200%.

parallelsORfusi
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks - that worked.

Sure I tried that before but when I restarted the Mac the next day, Office in the Mac was 200% bigger too.  Looking ok for now though.

Let's hope V6 fixes this quirk - if it does I'll upgrade for this improvement alone.

0 Kudos
parallelsORfusi
Contributor
Contributor

Ah - didn't really work.

Some icons in Win7 remain tiny, so small they're unusable.

Main issue is my mouse - the speed is now hugely different to when I'm in OSx - in Win 7 my mouse now needs to be pushed over 2-3 times as far to move across the screen.  And I can't move it to the top of the screen (ie in the the OSx top section).  This makes is unusable.

Come on VM Ware - make a proper fix otherwise this is a showstopper and I'll go to Parallels.

0 Kudos
mudaltsov
Expert
Expert

Windows 7 and 8 (before 8.1) is not good at using 200% or larger DPI - it turns off the hardware-accelerated mouse cursor, which has the effect of changing the mouse acceleration as well (since it's controlled by Windows instead of OS X). So the maximum useful DPI is 199%, although the default mouse cursors and a lot of icons were only designed for 150% maximum, so they may appear pixelated or blurry.

Fusion 6 adds the ability to automatically set the DPI to 150% and enable Retina support by default, but in the end it all depends on the specific Windows apps that you want to use. There are many older applications that were only designed for the standard 100% scale.

0 Kudos