VMware Communities
systimax
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is a bootcamp VM faster then a VM that is vmdk based?

Performance question:  Is a bootcamp VM faster then a VM that is vmdk based? I assume the only reason it would be faster would be for disk read and writes.

Are there any other performance advantages?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

No a bootcamp VM is not really faster as a normal VM.

I understand your reasoning, but unless you open a lot of snapshots on the VM the performance is pretty much same/similar vmdk based versus bootcamp based.

Which btw is also pointing out a disadvantage of bootcamp VMs, you cannot make snapshots.

Of course if you boot your bootcamp VM natively (not as a VM) you have a performance increase as you are then running native on the hardware.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

No a bootcamp VM is not really faster as a normal VM.

I understand your reasoning, but unless you open a lot of snapshots on the VM the performance is pretty much same/similar vmdk based versus bootcamp based.

Which btw is also pointing out a disadvantage of bootcamp VMs, you cannot make snapshots.

Of course if you boot your bootcamp VM natively (not as a VM) you have a performance increase as you are then running native on the hardware.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos