VMware Communities
ChillOne
Contributor
Contributor

Is VMWare Fusion version 4.1.3 compatible with the new Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion?

Does anyone know if VMWare Fusion version 4.1.3 is compatible with the new Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion that was release today?  I don't want to upgrade to Mountain Lion if I will lose my VMWare fusion functionality.  Please advise.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
22 Replies
GeertCu
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm that my P2V'd Windows 7 works wonderfully in Fusion 4.1.3 on Mountain Lion - didn't have to do anything at all, not even upgrade the VMWare Tools in the VM.

0 Kudos
MLSCO
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Interesting discussion chain. Looks like there is a range of experineces with respect to how readily and smoothly the upgrade to Mtn Lion integrates with existing VMWare Fusion installations.

I am in the position of needing to upgrade from OSX-10.7.5 (Lion) to OSX-10.8.2 so that I can mirror my screen on remote HDMI video monitor.  I run VM Ware Fusion 4.1.3, and use it with Windows 7 primarily to run Quicken and Quickbooks.  I originally had a lot of trouble getting Quickbooks to operate but Quicken worked fine right off the bat.  Only after significant Tech Help from VMWare was I able to gert Quickbooks to run.

I have now received messages to upgrade Fusion to 5.0.0.  My question builds on the existing discussion chain.  If I plan to upgrade to Mtn Lion, am I better off to ugrade Fusion to 5.0.0 before or after that upgrade?  Do people feel most of the problem areas in the discussions have been resolved in the software?

Another part of my question is that I do back up my virtual machine bundle to an external drive.  Is there any advantage to taking a "Snapshot" as well as doing a back up prior to installing any upgrades?  Also, my original VMWare disk was destroyed in a fire.  Does anyone know how to buy a replacement for the lost disk rather than buy a new version of the software?  Since snapshot needs the original disk to provide a complete picture, it seems that I am at risk without such a disk.

Would appreciate any insight that anyone can provide.

In the meantime, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

MLSCO

0 Kudos
dch_
Contributor
Contributor

I did a boring ML upgrade, and things have just worked until recently. see my thread http://communities.vmware.com/thread/431762 about black / blank screens.

0 Kudos