VMware Communities
ChillOne
Contributor
Contributor

Is VMWare Fusion version 4.1.3 compatible with the new Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion?

Does anyone know if VMWare Fusion version 4.1.3 is compatible with the new Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion that was release today?  I don't want to upgrade to Mountain Lion if I will lose my VMWare fusion functionality.  Please advise.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
22 Replies
avanpelt
Contributor
Contributor

I am running VMware Fusion 4.1.3 and Mountain Lion as of three hours ago and it sort of works on my machine.  I have a dual monitor setup and run Windows inside a VM on one of my monitors.

By "sort of works", I mean that everytime I run a VM and start moving the mouse inside the VM, the top menubar (File, Edit, View, etc. menus) on the Mac goes crazy (almost like it's hyper-cycling between Finder and all the other running programs on the Mac side of my laptop.)

If I do a Command-Tab on the Mac side to cycle through running programs on my Mac while VMware Fusion is open, the switcher stays open and frozen on the Mac side.  As soon as I quit VMware Fusion, the switcher disappears.

Can I run a VM?  Yes, but something in VMware Fusion does not like something that changed when I upgraded from Lion to Mountain Lion.

0 Kudos
phildaant
Contributor
Contributor

OK, but can VMware Fusion v4.1.3 client run Mac OS X 10.8/Lion inside though? It is on a Mac Mini host with 4 GB of RAM and an updated 64-bit Mac OS X 10.7.4. Thank you in advance. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
phildaant
Contributor
Contributor

ChillOne wrote:

Does anyone know if VMWare Fusion version 4.1.3 is compatible with the new Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion that was release today?  I don't want to upgrade to Mountain Lion if I will lose my VMWare fusion functionality.  Please advise.  Thanks!

If your computer is important, then just wait. Why the rush? Things WILL break. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
phildaant
Contributor
Contributor

phildaant wrote:

OK, but can VMware Fusion v4.1.3 client run Mac OS X 10.8/Lion inside though? It is on a Mac Mini host with 4 GB of RAM and an updated 64-bit Mac OS X 10.7.4. Thank you in advance. Smiley Happy

Just for kicks, I tried it but it seems buggy? My Mac OS X 10.8 thinks my left mouse click is right click after I use its "Authenticating..." prompt comes up like in System Preferences for changing things (users, date and time, etc.). I have to reboot to make it stop.

Is anyone else having this problem too?

0 Kudos
carrida
Contributor
Contributor

Well, the rush is that some of us are picking up new Macs and I imagine those will have 10.8 pre-installed.  I want to be able to use my Mac 10.7.4 and Win 7 Guest VMs on my new 10.8 Host machine.  Unfortuantely if I can't, my use for the new laptop will be severely limited until it is fully supported.

Hopefully VMWare will address the current issues quickly.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

You're going to be much better off with the technical preview than with 4.1.3 if you need 10.8 support (either guest or host).  They refreshed the code today, and have addressed most of the issues.

I've been running it for a while, and it's been rock solid with both win7 and 10.7 VM's.

0 Kudos
gcthompson
Contributor
Contributor

Can you use the existing VMs without upgrading? I don't want to have to convert my VMs and be stuck?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Just backup the Virtual Machines before upgrading! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
gcthompson
Contributor
Contributor

I tried the techology preview and it was worse than 4.1.3 running on multiple monitors.

One thing I've found which helps is to just use a single window, most of the problems go away (though the other 2 monitors have flickery elements on them when the VMWare fusion window is active)

0 Kudos
OHCTrey
Contributor
Contributor

My problem is that I have a Feb 2011 MBP.  I keep Windows on the 15in (full screen) and OSX on the external (DVI).  Going to a single monitor would bog my coding down like crazy.  I'm really frustrated because the quote from VMware said "No major known issues" but didn't list what the "minor" issues might be.  #fail VMware.  I hope they fix this ASAP.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

One workaround is to keep Fusion in a windowed mode on the main monitor - doesn't take all that much screen real estate.

0 Kudos
ChillOne
Contributor
Contributor

Any issues with running VMWare fusion on a single monitor? I basically run Windows in full screen

Mode and '4 finger' toggle between W7 and Mac OS. Any problems noted in this basic setup?

0 Kudos
OHCTrey
Contributor
Contributor

I've not seen any issues with running Fusion and ML on one monitor so far.  As the work-around to my strobing display, I've closed my MBP lid and am just using my external 23" monitor.  I use my Magic Mouse gesture to switch between full screen Win 7 and ML.  It works, but I really miss having both OSs visible since I keep my IRC Client on ML and Visual Studio, SQL, etc. on Windows.

0 Kudos
MayePR
Contributor
Contributor

This is a silly question but I need to know Smiley Happy. I know 4.1.3 is compatible but if I upgrade to Mountain Lion, do I have to reinstall VmWare plus the Windows OS and all the programs that I use (i.e. Quicken, MS Office)? Any help will be very appreciated. Thanks!

0 Kudos
avanpelt
Contributor
Contributor

No, you do not have to re-install the VMware Fusion software, nor your virtual machine(s), nor the software contained within the virtual machine(s) when you upgrade your Mac to Mountain Lion.

0 Kudos
MayePR
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for confirming it. Backing up the mac now and I will proceed to upgrade later.

0 Kudos
jsshaker
Contributor
Contributor

I have VMware Fusion 4.1.3 installed on top of OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion).  I created a new VM with Mountain Lion by using the Fusion Template 10.7.  And I installed from scratch.  I can confirm you that it works and works very well.  I installed also the VM Tools inside the VM of Mountain Lion and it works.  But these tools are made for Lion only but it works.  Stay tune, probably VMware will release very soon, a new version update with the official support.

0 Kudos
MayePR
Contributor
Contributor

I completed the upgrade yesterday. No problems (so far) with my VM and the software installed in it. The process was smooth and I was using Quicken and MS Office products without issues after the installation.

0 Kudos