VMware Communities
philstone
Contributor
Contributor

Is ESXi fully supported on Fusion now?

I'm trying to install ESXi 4.1 Installable (VMware-VMvisor-Installer-4.1.0-260247.x86_64.iso) on Fusion 3.1, however I'm getting an error message on install: cpu1:4953)Warning: Syslog not configured. Please check Syslog options under Configuration.Software.Advanced Settings in vSphere client.

But I haven't even got as far as installing the vSphere client..

I'm guessing that as VMWare Fusion knew exactly what I was installing after selecting the iso that it is now supported officially?

Can anyone give me any pointers - would like to play with it before we migrate our systems from HyperV..

Thanks!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

syslog is more of log files function. if you're just testing i would just ignore it as chances of you looking at syslog is very rare.

0 Kudos
philstone
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks but how can I get past this stage - the install halts here...

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

i'm not sure what steps have being carried out. Maybe you could refer to this tutorial and ensure that you're doing the right thing. http://www.van-lieshout.com/2009/06/installing-esx-40-on-vmware-fusion/

0 Kudos
philstone
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, just created a new VM following that exact guide but get exactly the same result - Syslog not configured...

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

That message is harmless.  Try pressing Alt-F2, or whatever passes for Alt-F2 on a Mac.

0 Kudos
philstone
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks but F2 just takes me back to the EULA, F11 to accept and back at that screen..

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

After pressing F11 to accept the EULA, you should end up at the disk selection screen.  Can you press Alt-F12 and post a screenshot of the vmkernel log screen?

0 Kudos
philstone
Contributor
Contributor

Screenshot attached...

THanks!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

It looks like the vmfs3 module is not getting loaded, but there's no message indicating why that's the case.  Can you post the VM's configuration file?

0 Kudos
darrylbowler201
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos