VMware Communities
AlienApple
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Invalid Product Key

After migrating all my data from old Mac to new Mac, I get the Invalid Product Key dialog whn booting the Windows 7 VM on the new Mac. Is there something I should have done or can do now?

macOS NigSur and latest VMware Player.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pshanew
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The first time you attempted to run the VM on the new host, it should have presented a dialog asking whether it was moved or copied.  If you select that you moved it, the VM is left unmodified from its original configuration.  If you select that you copied, a new UUID will be created along with a new MAC address for any configured virtual network adapters.  These changes are generally sufficient to cause Windows to need to be re-activated.

[Edit]

Re-reading your post I may have misunderstood your issue.  I read that as a license activation problem, which may not be the case.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Sounds like something went wrong with your copying of the old VM to the new host?
The error does not appear to have much to do with VMware Fusion, but I might misunderstand.
Did you perhaps leave a CD/DVD connected to the VM?

Screenshot with the error?

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
pshanew
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The first time you attempted to run the VM on the new host, it should have presented a dialog asking whether it was moved or copied.  If you select that you moved it, the VM is left unmodified from its original configuration.  If you select that you copied, a new UUID will be created along with a new MAC address for any configured virtual network adapters.  These changes are generally sufficient to cause Windows to need to be re-activated.

[Edit]

Re-reading your post I may have misunderstood your issue.  I read that as a license activation problem, which may not be the case.

AlienApple
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hmm, ok, I am not sure which option I chose, probaby move. I think I still have a backup of the VM before I did the migration. Can I, or should I, delete the VM on the new machine then copy the old one over? And if that works, I probaby should delete the on from the old machine?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

It certainly should have been "Move" to select as option, thanks pshanew to point that out, it certainly sounds like that was the cause.

Please do _not_ delete the original until you can run the VM succesfully on your new computer.
Yes, do delete the copy on your new machine and try to copy it once more.

_
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
AlienApple
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you both! That was a rather simple fix in the end aqnd I made certain to select the move option. What a relief. 🙂

0 Kudos