VMware Communities
hmahaffey
Contributor
Contributor

Internet significantly slower after Win10 upgrade with Fusion 11.5.1

System: 2.9Ghz MacBook Pro (Retina, 13", Early 2015) running macOS Mojave 10.14.6. 89% disk capacity (52GB remain).

Running VMWare Fusion 11.5.1.

I ran Windows 7 for a long time with very few problems. Yesterday, I did an in-place upgrade to Windows 10. There were a LOT of patches to be applied via Windows Update. I noticed that they took a long time to download, so I tested my internet connection with speedtest.net using the Edge browser.  As I suspected, the download speed reported was 2.1Mbps.

When I test on the macOS side using Chrome, the download speed reported (using the same server) is 116Mbps. (I did note that the upload speed was only slightly faster, 9.85 vs 8.27, however.)

Why such a large difference?

I have not customized Win10 much at all. No antivirus (other than Defender and a Malwarebytes scan), no firewall tweaking.

The network adapter was set to "Share with my Mac". I switched it to "Wi Fi", and the network stopped entirely, couldn't even connect to speedtest.net.

I don't do a lot of browsing in my VM, as my primary use of it is for Quicken. But Quicken downloads are much slower than they used to be, so I'm really interested in seeing this fixed if possible! Smiley Happy

Can anyone help, or offer any suggestions?

THanks!

Smiley Happyhal mahaffey

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BartMcLeod
Contributor
Contributor

I have a similar problem: after upgrading to Fusion 11.5.1 I have internet on my Windows 10 VM for a very short time and then it stops. Switching to Wifi makes me loose the connection entirely. Restarts do not help.

System:

Modelnaam: MacBook Pro

Modelaanduiding: MacBookPro15,3

Processornaam: 8-Core Intel Core i9

Processorsnelheid: 2,3 GHz

Aantal processors: 1

Totale aantal cores: 8

L2-cache (per core): 256 KB

L3-cache: 16 MB

Hyperthreading-technologie: Ingeschakeld

Geheugen: 32 GB

Opstart-ROM-versie: 1037.40.124.0.0 (iBridge: 17.16.11081.0.0,0)

Serienummer (systeem): [removed]

Hardware-UUID: AB0EA9D3-6B30-505C-8E72-9CF220926F81

Status activeringsslot: Uitgeschakeld

1 TB of disk space free.

moderator edit by wila: removed serial number as it is info you really do not want (or need) to share.

0 Kudos
BartMcLeod
Contributor
Contributor

I have solved my issue by turning the LAN network adapter on and of in the Windows guest. The VM setting was still autodetect.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Two suggestions.

But first take a snapshot so you can go back in case something happens (for example a WIndows that wants to be re-activated)

Better even is a backup, but I digress.

1. If you just did an in place upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10,  did you already change the guest OS in VMware Fusion.

Eg. Shut down your VM.

Select your VM in the VM Library, then  go to menu "Virtual Machine" -> Settings -> General and make sure that the guest OS type matches what you are running.

Eg. Windows 10 x32 if your guest OS is 32 bit or Windows 10 x64 if it is 64 bit.

2. The virtual network card you are using now might not have the best drivers anymore in Windows 10. While you can edit the .vmx by hand it is probably easier to shut down the VM.

Remove the network card and then add it back. If your guest OS is set correctly then it should use a reasonable virtual network card.

-

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos