VMware Communities
bbbbbbbbbbbb
Contributor
Contributor

Internet disconnects periodly

I reinstalled my whole system and installed Win XP pro on my Leopard with Fushion 1.1.1. Everything works fine except the internet disconnects periodly ,which also make my VoIP software disconnect periodly....

0 Kudos
15 Replies
MichealS
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issue where the routing between the VM Session and the MacOS is not functioning properly. I cannot connect to the internet via the Fusion /XP session, but can connect just fine with the MacOS. VoIP remains connected, but the performance is degraded significantly. Anyone have any suggestions?

0 Kudos
DanDaley
Contributor
Contributor

Does OSX get disconnected as well? Are you using an Intel based Mac and wireless networking using WPA? If so, then there is a known issue with some macs (my iMac). Only options are to either use WEP or ethernet.

0 Kudos
MichealS
Contributor
Contributor

OSX does not disconnect. Using WPA. I will change it and see if it improves

0 Kudos
bbbbbbbbbbbb
Contributor
Contributor

Mac OS is fine. I did not have this problem before I installed my

system again. And I am using a late 2007 Macbook white with Leopard

with ethernet net cable.

0 Kudos
MichealS
Contributor
Contributor

Is there any eta on fixing WPA since WEP is not as secure?

0 Kudos
DanDaley
Contributor
Contributor

I don't know. I had to switch back to WEP. My MacBook works fine with WPA, but my wife's iMac disconnects frequently when using WPA. I switched back to WEP and the disconnects are gone.

0 Kudos
bbbbbbbbbbbb
Contributor
Contributor

Even I am not using wireless network, the network connection is very

unstable. I wonder what is going on since I did not have this problem

before.

0 Kudos
MichealS
Contributor
Contributor

I switched to WEP and I am still having the issues. It seems to be most prevalent with the VoIP. I do not have the same amount of disconnects when I am just on the network. I wonder if the VoIP is the main issue. After I disconnect the VoIP I still have connection issues for a period of time.

0 Kudos
eldao
Contributor
Contributor

What are the symptoms when you are disconnected? Does the network adapter appear in the guest os as disconnected or broken, or does the guest os think things are connected, but connections can't be made?

My SO's MacBook had a problem the other day, host Leopard had no issues, but the guest machine couldn't connect. After some poking around, it looked like the DNS had just gone out; I could ping and telnet to raw ip addresses, but since practically everything relies on dns, everything seemed to be disconnected. I found the command needed to restart the networking daemons running on the host OS to fix the DNS, but the SO (correctly) balked at opening up the terminal and typing some obscure command every time this happened. I posted the one liner to this thread: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/82635?tstart=30.

do shell script "'/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/boot.sh' --restart" with administrator privileges

This will do the prompt for administrator password and the whole sudo wrapper thing around the boot.sh call.

0 Kudos
bbbbbbbbbbbb
Contributor
Contributor

The little computer logo on the bottom right corner simply disappears

and reconnects again. It comes around 10 minutes after I turn on the

windows.

The strange thing is I did not have this problem before...

0 Kudos
bbbbbbbbbbbb
Contributor
Contributor

So nobody has solution... Is this the problem of VM Fushion? Its driving me crazy

0 Kudos
bbbbbbbbbbbb
Contributor
Contributor

I tried both NAT and Bridged and it did not make any difference.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Did eldao's suggestion of restarting the network daemon help?

0 Kudos
MichealS
Contributor
Contributor

Not really a good viable choice to reboot the daemon every time. It appears to be a DNS issue as the VOIP stays connected during this time, but performance degrades. MacOS is fine and I can bring up a browser without any problem. This appears to be a problem with the VMWare. I never experienced these problems when I was dual boot with Bootcamp only, they have only manifested themselves now that I moved the Bootcamp image to VMWare Fusion. I just updated to the latest version 2 days ago and I am still having the same issue. After many repeated attempts on the Windows Browser, I will eventually reconnect. Very aggravating.

0 Kudos
DanDaley
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure if this information will help you... I connect to the VPN for my employer from within Windows XP which is running within Fusion. I can be connected all day with no disconnects. So, I wouldn't say that this is an issue with Fusion in general. It could be some incompatibility that causes the disconnects.

I am not using bootcamp. I don't even have a bootcamp installation on my laptop. I am running a pure VM installed version of Windows XP. This was created with version 1.0 of Fusion on a different machine. I moved it to my new laptop and have upgraded to the latest version of Fusion with no issues.

0 Kudos