VMware Communities
FlyingDuck1
Contributor
Contributor

Internal Error message on VMware Version 8.1.0

Hello everybody,

I have the VMware since some time already, but now I'm facing some struggles with it. I recently updated my Mac to Catalina (Version 10.15.7). As my VMware takes up a lot of space I run it via an external SSD card, which worked perfectly fine in the past. Now after mounting my SSD card with the NTFS program I tried to open the VMware. The problem is that it always shows me a black screen with the error message 'Internal error'. I really don't know what to do to be honest. I have a old VMware version (8.1.0), but that was in the past never an issue. I cannot even upgrade it or anything, because my screen just remains black. I'm not a super computer expert, so maybe I haven't explained all the details enough or so. Just let me know 🙂

I really would appreciate any help, as I'm kinda stuck right now, to be honest.

Greetings

0 Kudos
7 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Please create threads in the area for the product used - moved to Fusion Discussions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Only Fusion versions 11.5 and later are supported on Catalina: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2088571

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

As Scott said, it won't work with VMware Fusion 8.x on Catalina.
This is a problem that was reported many times around the release of Catalina and was happening with VMware Fusion versions up to VMware Fusion 10.

You'll have to upgrade. As VMware Fusion 12 also works with Catalina I suggest to go straight to Fusion 12.

See also:

https://blogs.vmware.com/teamfusion/2020/09/fusion-12-now-available.html

Perhaps the free Fusion Player 12 will work for you. (there's a link in the 2nd article)

Please note that if that link doesn't work and you are using Firefox, then try again using Safari or a private window.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
FlyingDuck1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, Thank you very much for your fast replies. The problem is that when I click on 'check for updates' in the VMware it keeps showing me the 'internal error' message. Even if this would work, would my data and programs that I've now on my VMware version 8.1.0 get lost or automatically get transferred?

Greetings

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Your VM will continue to work in Fusion 12.

This is often compared with Office. Where a Virtual machine is compared to a document.
If you upgrade MS Office the documents are still there. It's similar with VMware Fusion. If you upgrade VMware Fusion, the Virtual machines are still there.

Hope this makes sense,
--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
FlyingDuck1
Contributor
Contributor

But should I upload it on the VMware itself, cause there it shows me always an error (see attached screenshot), when the download is almost finished? Or should I update the version straight from online, and then drag and drop it into my SSD card, afterwards?

Thanks

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Oh, the update mechanism has changed a bit over time, so you can't use that to get the latest version.

Instead drag Fusion 8 to the bin and download a new version from the following link:
https://vmware.com/go/getfusion

--
Wil

0 Kudos