VMware Communities
adrianm
Contributor
Contributor

Internal Error When starting a VM on Fusion 6 - Mavericks Host

Hi,

I am trying to get Fusion 6 running on my test Mavericks Partition.  I am running preview 7 OS X 10.9 (13A569) the install seemed to go fine but I keep getting "Internal Error" messages when trying to start a VM.  I followed the uninstall instructions in the KB and installed again but I am still getting the error:

Syslog doesn't seem to have anything interesting.

VMFusion Log is attached there are some error messages in there that might be relevant.

I have Server Installed and I am set up for Open Directory.

Any suggestions pls?

Adrian

0 Kudos
53 Replies
AsadaMasato
Contributor
Contributor

I suspect on Mavericks VMware becomes extremely slow when file sharing is on. (Then Activity Monitor shows the process vmware-vmx keeps stopping response all the time. Even when you quit VMware Fusion, this process remains, so if you learn to terminate it from Activity Monitor, you can restart VMFusion without rebooting OSX.) Maybe this will work, though turning sharing off is rather inconvenient.

ASADA Masato

0 Kudos
jesseanger
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have sharing turned off, in the VMware settings. I feel that the issue might be permission based, but i do not have the steps Jeff took right, if only I had his help Smiley Happy

Thank you for your suggestion, with file sharing off, do you think my internal error is related to sharing still?

0 Kudos
AsadaMasato
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, if what I thought was not the case.

0 Kudos
jesseanger
Contributor
Contributor

All help is appreciated, thank you again.

0 Kudos
wongv
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Jesseanger.  The directory "~/Library/Logs/VMware" (note that "~" resolves to your home directory, and this is not the same directory as "/Library/Logs/VMware") should be owned by you, not root.  The same is true for "~/Library/Logs/VMware Fusion".  To change the ownership of the directory, use the "chown" command, e.g. "chown <user>:<group> ~/Library/Logs/VMware" where <user> is your user name and <group> is a group that your user account is a member of (e.g. "admin"; the "groups" command would list your group membership).  Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
kam_m
Contributor
Contributor

Is changing access rights to the directory a solution to resolve the problem ?

I have tried to change them but not luck. When I start an existing or try to create a new VM I always get message "Internal Error".

I am running VMWare fusion on Mavericks with "server add on" and on the one of them it works but on the other it constantly shows the error. Attached the support information.

Any help would be appreciate. Thanks.

0 Kudos
jesseanger
Contributor
Contributor

It did not resolve my issue, if you come across and solutions please let me know.

0 Kudos
wongv
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi kam_m and jesseanger, would you mind doing the following?

• Create a file at "$HOME/LIbrary/Preferences/VMware Fusion/config" if it does not already exist.
  • Add the following line to "$HOME/LIbrary/Preferences/VMware Fusion/config" ("/tmp/vmx-temp.log" can be changed to any other absolute file path as long as you have write permission to that location):
    vmx.log.temporaryFileName = "/tmp/vmx-temp.log"
  • Start the VM.
  • After the error is observed, locate the file specified above and attach it to this thread.
0 Kudos
kam_m
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Wongv, I followed the steps that you gave in the post but after adding the configuration the log file is not being generated.

Screen Shot 2013-11-01 at 19.01.30.png

0 Kudos
wongv
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thank you.  Could you do the following and then try powering on the VM again?

• Set your core file size limit to unlimited: ulimit -c unlimited
  • In Fusion, go to Settings -> Advanced, and choose "Hang/Crash" for the troubleshooting mode.

Please let me know if the error message changes, and whether there is any core file generated in /cores.

0 Kudos
kam_m
Contributor
Contributor

No problem.

So I have followed your steps and no luck. After setting ulimit -c I had to log out and log in again to apply the change. See the result on the image below hopefully it helps.

Screen Shot 2013-11-01 at 21.06.58.png

0 Kudos
wongv
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Did you upgrade from a previous version of Fusion or have you done a fresh install?  If you upgraded, would you mind removing Fusion and reinstalling it from scratch?  On a separate note, I noticed that you mentioned "on the one of them it works".  Do you mean you have one VM that can power on?

0 Kudos
kam_m
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I already tried to reinstall but it didn't work so I'd removed Fusion and installed it again following steps under the link:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&docTypeID=DT_KB_1_1&e...

Yes i have two separate physical servers when it didn't work on the first one I installed on the second (older model of Mac mini). On the older server it works. Both have been upgraded from the previous version of OS.

0 Kudos
wongv
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This is intriguing.  Let's try running the VM from the command line.

• Quit Fusion UI.
  • From a terminal, run
    • sudo /Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/services.sh --start
    • /Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-vmx-debug -x /Users/kamil/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/CentOS 64-bit.vmwarevm/CentOS 64-bit.vmx

That would hopefully print out some messages in the terminal that helps us diagnose the issue further.

0 Kudos
VladimirL
Contributor
Contributor

I've got the same problem.

Looks like that terminal command do not work:

MacBook-Pro:/ Vladimir$ /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-vmx-debug -x /Users/Vladimir/Documents/Virtual\ Machines.localized/Windows\ XP\ Professional.vmwarevm/Windows\ XP Professional.vmx

To run the user interface, use vmware and not vmware-vmx.

Usage: vmware-vmx [<flags>] [configfile]

where <flags> are:

-P                   start paused

-q                   exit at power off

-s name=value        set variable NAME to VALUE

-x                   power on when program starts

-X                   as -x, also go to full screen mode

-v                   print program version

-#                   Product-specific settings

-e name              extract a resource specified by name

-?                   Usage

-@                   VMDB connection to UI

vmware-vmx: this executable should not be invoked directly.

Cannot start vmware-vmx.

-3 Failed to parse command line options.

MacBook-Pro:/ Vladimir$

0 Kudos
kam_m
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Wongv,

Sorry for delay but I wasn't available. So I tried to run the commands that you listed but they didn't work returning following error:

$ /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-vmx-debug -x ~/CentOS.vmwarevm/CentOS.vmx
-11 Unable to find VMX file /Users/kamil/CentOS.vmwarevm/CentOS.vmx.

But as I mentioned before I have working version of Fusion on other machine so I tried to run vmware-vmx-debug command without any options on both machines and this is the result:

On the working version I get:

$ sudo /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/services.sh --start

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:
Installing files from /Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/thnuclnt
Copying .thnumod to /etc/thnuclnt
Copying thnuclnt.conf to /etc/thnuclnt
Copying thnuclnt.convs to /private/etc/cups
Copying thnuclnt.types to /private/etc/cups
Copying thnucups to /usr/libexec/cups/filter
Restarting printing services
No matching processes were found
Started bridge services
Started network services
Started USB arbitration service
$ /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-vmx-debug 
No args to initialize the VMX VMDB instance

On the broken version I get:

$ sudo /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/services.sh --start
Installing files from /Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/thnuclnt
Copying .thnumod to /etc/thnuclnt
Copying thnuclnt.conf to /etc/thnuclnt
Copying thnuclnt.convs to /private/etc/cups
Copying thnuclnt.types to /private/etc/cups
Copying thnucups to /usr/libexec/cups/filter
Restarting printing services
No matching processes were found
Started bridge services
Started network services
Started USB arbitration service

Cannot get temporary directory for log file.
ASSERT bora/lib/log/log.c:2366

Attempting a core dump using an unlimited size limit
Waiting for child process 74704 to dump core...
Core dumped.
A core file is available in "/cores/core.74704"

VMware Fusion Error:
VMware Fusion unrecoverable error: (vmx)
You can request support.  

To collect data to submit to VMware support, choose "Collect Support Information" from the "Help" menu.
You can also run "VMware Fusion Problem Reporter.tool" inside the VMware Fusion application bundle directly.
We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.

I have the core dump if that helps. After packing its size is just over 150MB.

0 Kudos
wongv
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thank you for reporting the output.  It appears that the permission for the log directory is not quite right.  Could you run "ls -ld $HOME/Library/Log/VMware*" and post the result?  My next suggestion is to remove the directory $HOME/Library/Log/VMware and then try the command again.

0 Kudos
VladimirL
Contributor
Contributor

MacBook-Pro:~ Vladimir$ ls -ld ~/Library/Logs/VMware*

drwxr-xr-x   2 Vladimir  staff   68 27 Oct 17:40 /Users/Vladimir/Library/Logs/VMware

drwxr-xr-x  12 Vladimir  staff  408  3 Nov 19:59 /Users/Vladimir/Library/Logs/VMware Fusion

0 Kudos
wongv
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi VladimirL.  It seems you may have encountered a different problem.  Would you mind uploading a support bundle (Help > Collect Support Information)?  Have you tried the vmx.log.temporaryFileName option described in an earlier post?

0 Kudos
kam_m
Contributor
Contributor

No difference the same error. The access right looks ok.

$ ls -ld /Users/kamil/Library/Logs/VMware
drwxrwxrwx  2 kamil  staff  68 31 Oct 23:48 /Users/kamil/Library/Logs/VMware
$ rm -rf /Users/kamil/Library/Logs/VMware
Cannot get temporary directory for log file.

Attempting a core dump using an unlimited size limit
Core dumped.
A core file is available in "/cores/core.47170"

VMware Fusion Error:
VMware Fusion unrecoverable error: (vmx)
You can request support.  

To collect data to submit to VMware support, choose "Collect Support Information" from the "Help" menu.
You can also run "VMware Fusion Problem Reporter.tool" inside the VMware Fusion application bundle directly.
We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.
0 Kudos