VMware Communities
jsherk
Contributor
Contributor

Internal Error Sierra with Fusion 6.0.6 and 8.5 then problem downloading tools and can not install windows 10

Hi

Had Fusion 6.0.6 installed and updated MacBook Pro to Sierra (10.12.2) and Fusion would not start or run Virtual Windows 10 that I had been using for a long time.

I had downloded and installed Fusion 8.5.3 and then I deleted the old virtual windows 10 and downloaded new Windows 10 ISO to install from scratch.

I choose ADD NEW and then choose INSTALL FROM DISC OR IMAGE and click CONTINUE.

I then choose the ISO file and click CONTINUE.

I then choose the EASY INSTALL, enter account name, leave password blank, enter the product key, choose Windows 10 Home and click on CONTINUE then choose MORE ISOLATED and CONTINUE again.

It then says DOWNLOAD TOOLS so I click this, and after couple minutes of downloading files it says "There was a problem updating a software component."

I click OK and then skip this step by clicking CONTINUE.

I then skip the CUSTOMIZE SETTINGS and click on FINISH, give it a name and click SAVE.

Now when you try to run this, I get error message INTERNAL ERROR.

I then go to settings and turn OFF 3D ACCELERATION and try running it again and still get INTERNAL ERROR.

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

You should have been able to just used your existing Windows 10 virtual machine.

There is really no reason to reinstall the guest from scratch for a newer version of VMware Fusion.

If a newer version of VMware Fusion can't run existing virtual machines then that would be a major issue for many customers.

For the current problem you are seeing I suspect the old Fusion 6 kernel modules are still in the way.

Rebooting you mac should resolve that.

If that still does not help then try to uninstall VMware Fusion, reboot, reinstall VMware Fusion.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
jsherk
Contributor
Contributor

I was receiving the same INTERNAL ERROR when trying to run the old windows 10 virtual machine, so I decided to try and reinstall but that did not work.

I also tried rebooting mac, but then same errors occured.

I deleted old version 6 VMWare Fushion.app before installing the new version 8.5.3 and that is why I am reporting all the problems.

Are there other directories/folders that I can delete/remove old files from that are related to Fusion?
If there are other files, I will delete them as well and then reinstall verion 8.5.3

Thanks

0 Kudos
jsherk
Contributor
Contributor

Well I can not figure out the problem as I keep getting Internal Error message no matter what I do.

But discovered that Virtual Box works great and is free so I don't have to pay to upgrade from Fusion 6 to Fusion 8.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Did you try this:

Move Fusion 6 to the trash.

Reboot the machine

Empty the Trash

Reboot again

Make sure the VM was shut down - not suspended or snapshotted before launching.

0 Kudos