VMware Communities
SeanBoon
Contributor
Contributor

Intermittent Freezing in both Mac OS and Windows With Fusion 5.0.x

Hi,

I'm running a MacBook Pro with Retina display.  I'm running Windows 7 x64 via Fusion.  Mutiple times a day the host OS or Windows will freeze for about 5 seconds.  I find that if I turn off Aero or the 3D graphics acceleration that the issue doesn't repro.  Do I have a bad graphics card?  Anyone else seeing this type of issue?  Other things I could try?

Thanks,

Sean

0 Kudos
2 Replies
chronos2g
Contributor
Contributor

You may need to bump the memory on the VM image up a little. Check out the "performance" tab in the  "task manager" on your guest Windows OS to verify. Also, I ended up disabling the "Hard disk buffering" (in the VM image's "Advanced" setting.

Best regards!

0 Kudos
aygw
Contributor
Contributor

I get this all the time, particularly when I switch back from a W7 VM to OSX.

Fusion has problems with accelerated graphics on current MacBook Pros. Some problems are apparently cured by updating to OSX 10.8.3 (e.g. http://communities.vmware.com/thread/425153) but that doesn't help here. More memory won't do it either, I have 16Gb of RAM and the VMs that cause the stalls are given 4Gb each. The only cast-iron work around I've found is, as you say, to turn off hardware accelerated graphics on the VM, although I find that if I don't use Chrome in the VM then it doesn't stall quite so often.

0 Kudos