VMware Communities
caseyc4
Contributor
Contributor

Interface Issues using Unity - Fusion 5

I'm having some frustrating issues with the Fusion interface when using Unity mode. I work mostly in Windows but need both OS's. Have a 2 year old 15" Core i7 MB Pro with 8MB RAM. I have 2 Cores and 3 MB RAM for the VM in settings.

1. I see this mostly when using Outlook but it happens with all apps within Windows; I have Outlook open to full screen or almost full screen, I open a new email and it opens in front of Outlook and I start typing, If I click back to the main Outlook window the email messge moves behind the main window, if I try to return to the email it will not move in front of the main Outlook window no matter what method I use (Alt-Tab or clicking the Task Bar). The only way I can get the email back in front is to minimze the main Outlook window.

2. Sometimes when using the Alt-Tab keys to switch between tasks within Windows the outline of the task switching window will remain on the screen. It's on top of everything but you can see through it. If I use Command-Tab to switch to a Mac App then I see the task switching window in front of the Mac app blocking it's view.

3. Sometimes the Right-Click function does not work on my Mouse/trackpad. The menu will pop up then disappear right away without allowing me to access it.

These are fairly small annoyances but kill your productivity. I've used Parallels for several years, it has it's own quirks but not like this. If thereno solution to this I'll probably go back.

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
caseyc4
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, I realized I didn't give OS information.

Mac OS 10.7.5

Windows 7 on a Boot Camp partition

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

ye, unity mode on Fusion is not perfect for now , sometimes, weired things happened on my app windows too...

I hope Fusion can enhance it on next patch.

0 Kudos
bcarney
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased the Fusion 5 upgrade this morning and as far as I'm concerned it's a gigantic step backwards.  I'm having all sorts of issues in Unity mode with Outlook screens either randomly gaining focus and popping to the front of everything while I'm doing something on the Mac side, or just the opposite - I'll click the icon for a new message in Outlook and the new window appears behind all other screens.  It's totally killed my productivity with all these windows popping up front; I've gone back to running Win7 in a single window just to avoid the annoyance.

Sorry I ever upgraded...should have stuck with Fusion 4.

0 Kudos
mcvosi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm seeing the same thing on my end in Unity mode.  I'll click on a window title and it will jump around on the screen.  It won't allow me to select a window to move it to another part of the screen.  Very strange...

0 Kudos
vanRijn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hey guys,

I just now saw this post. Sorry for the delay in response and I'm sorry that you're hitting these problems. I just wanted to say that I've fixed a bunch of bugs in this area in the last few weeks internally, including this one. The next release of Fusion should hopefully contain my fixes and should fix this problem for you.

Again, sorry to hear you're hitting problems like this, but thank you for reporting them! Please keep the feedback coming! =:)

0 Kudos