VMware Communities
sjbuck
Contributor
Contributor

Insufficient permissions to access the file

I recently copied a VM from a server onto my Macbook. When I try to open the .vmx file, I get the following error. Can anyone assist?

Check for missing files failed:

Insufficient permissions to access the file.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Branched to new thread. What are the permissions on the file? Get a file listing as in and also attach vmware.log.

0 Kudos
JohnZonie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am having a similar problem after copying a VM from an older Mac Pro to a new one. I have repeated the copy process twice with identical results. The vmware.log shows no entries from the new system in response to attempts to start it. Attached is the archive of vmware-vm-fusion.logs.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Have a look at the "Get a file listing of the .vmwarevm bundle" section of and attach the filelist.txt file to a reply post.

0 Kudos
JohnZonie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for looking. Filelist.txt attached.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

In a Terminal (/(Application/Utilities/Terminal)) copy and paste the following command, as is, (assuming you haven't changed the path from what's reported in the .log file) and the press Enter and type in your password and press Enter

sudo chown -R ${USER} /Users/${USER}/Documents/Virtual\ Machines/Boot\ camp\ VM.vmwarevm

0 Kudos
JohnZonie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm not a unix guy and may have changed the path. I'd appreciate your taking a look and giving me the path I should be using.

0 Kudos
JohnZonie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

PS This is what terminal shows:

ka-us:Virtual Machines ka_us$ sudo chown -R $ /Users/$/Documents/Virtual\ Machines/Boot\

sudo chown -R $ /Users/$/Documents/Virtual\ Machines/Boot\ Password:ka-us:Virtual Machines ka_us$ sudo chown -R $ /Users/$/Documents/Virtual\ Machines/Boot\

> sudo chown -R $ /Users/$/Documents/Virtual\ Machines/Boot\ Password:

chown: /Users/ka_us/Documents/Virtual Machines/Bootsudo: No such file or directory

chown: chown: No such file or directory

chown: -R: No such file or directory

chown: ka_us: No such file or directory

chown: /Users/ka_us/Documents/Virtual Machines/Boot : No such file or directory

ka-us:Virtual Machines ka_us$

>

0 Kudos
JohnZonie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Never mind - I got it right finally. VM works fine.

Thanks so much = never would have figured that out in 1k years Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

You are not copying and pasting the entire command line! Smiley Happy

sudo chown -R $ /Users/$/Documents/Virtual\ Machines/Boot\ camp\ VM.vmwarevm

However if you did move it then do the following in a Terminal copy and paste the following, as is, followed by a space and then drag and drop the target Virtual Machine Package onto the Terminal and it will populate the Fully Qualified Pathname and then press Enter and type in your password and press Enter.

sudo chown -R $

0 Kudos
JohnZonie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah, I finally figured that out ?:| That drag-and-drop onto a terminal window is a great trick to remember. I guess the reason it happened is that I changed user names on the new machine and the the one from the old machine wasn't valid on the new machine, hence the "nobody: permission.

Learning all the time...

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I guess the reason it happened is that I changed user names on the new machine and the the one from the old machine wasn't valid on the new machine, hence the "nobody: permission.

And you said you weren't a unix guy but you figured that one out. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
bernito
Contributor
Contributor

WoodyZ,

You seem to be the authority here so I have attached my dirlist file below. I tried the following commands in terminal but neither worked:

First try: sudo chown -R Bernick "/Users/Bernick/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows Vista VM.vmwarevm"

Second try: sudo chown -R $:staff "/Users/$/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows Vista VM.vmwarevm"

Any help/guidance would be appreciated. Thanks

0 Kudos
bernito
Contributor
Contributor

Here is the file

0 Kudos
user009
Contributor
Contributor

pls let me know what exactly needs to be done to resolve this error.

Really appreciate your help

0 Kudos